• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.
  • Welcome to Free PC Help, a free PC Help forum to get help with your computer problems.

Free PC Help is a community that offers free computer help and support for all users, all ages, worldwide.

In order to start asking questions or contribute on someone else's post you will first need to register. Don't worry - it's quick and easy and once you have registered you will have instant access to the entire forum.

If you do decide to join the forums you will not have the option to send Private Messages [ PMs ] or add a Signature until you have made 5 posts or more. This is an attempt to try to stop Spammers using the PM system or adding links to their Signature.

media format

D

dorsil

Hello can someone tell me if I can format a DVD media, or can it be done? I’m having some problems using my DVD media, when I’m trying to copy its being ejected from the drive saying that its not empty, but when I’ll try to burn a DVD its ok,especialy when I use -rw media, I had changed 2 brands of media and still got the same problem, any help?

I’m using Nero 6.6.1.15, should I erase it and install it again?

Thanks

W

Wolfeymole

Hello Dorsil

Welcome to Free PC Help

As far as I know Nero 6 will not burn DVD's without an add on although it will burn cd's
Is this software the one that came with the dvd player?

D

dorsil

Wolfeymole said:
Hello Dorsil

Welcome to Free PC Help

As far as I know Nero 6 will not burn DVD's without an add on although it will burn cd's
Is this software the one that came with the dvd player?
yes i burn using it's burning rom,i have Nero 6 Ultra Edition 6.6.1.15 and Nero Digital 3.1.0.21 and my drive is Asus DRW 1608p version 1.57,i had encountered a problem too when tried to make some backup of games and files,i had a blank dw-rw and a folder of 585mb i liked to burn it on the blank media -rw, it told me that the media is not empty and needs to be erased ,i left it working and it allowed me to burn only one file,when i tried to burn another file it told me that the disc is full and needs to be errased,i tried another media and the same,one think i didn'y tried is a -r media,but why on -rw is happining this,

on the same -rw media i burned a whole movie and erased it with no problem

W

Wolfeymole

With a folder of 585mb in size I would not use a dvd rw or r but rather a cdr (write once only)
I would not mix files either, make it either music or data files etc.
If you are using write once only then drag the files to the nero folder and untick the multi session disk option.
If you are in the UK then try the disks from woolworth, they are dirt cheap whether they are DVD or CD and I have no problem with them.
You should not need to format a blank disk.

D

dorsil

Wolfeymole said:
With a folder of 585mb in size I would not use a dvd rw or r but rather a cdr (write once only)
I would not mix files either, make it either music or data files etc.
If you are using write once only then drag the files to the nero folder and untick the multi session disk option.
If you are in the UK then try the disks from woolworth, they are dirt cheap whether they are DVD or CD and I have no problem with them.
You should not need to format a blank disk.
ups,sorry not a585mb but 858mb,so i decided to make an all in one backup,no i'm from malta,but i dont know why i cant burn more than one file on the media,which is the best nero sw?

W

Wolfeymole

There should be no reason why you can't burn a data disk dorsil, is the dvd drive definitely -dvd?
It wouldn't hurt to uninstall and reinstall the nero software.
Hardware Dave or Randy may have another slant on this perhaps.

D

dorsil

Wolfeymole said:
There should be no reason why you can't burn a data disk dorsil, is the dvd drive definitely -dvd?
It wouldn't hurt to uninstall and reinstall the nero software.
Hardware Dave or Randy may have another slant on this perhaps.
yes that's the problem that when i have a media -rw with a burned file it can't even burn other files ,becouse a message prompt me that the media is full,but it will be not,i'm using a -rw as i always used,this problem occured recently,becouse i had made many backups this way,i dont know what happened.

W

Wolfeymole

If you are trying to burn extra files to a disk that you have already burned some to then you may have the "Finalise Disk" option ticked in the parameters.
One other thing to try is uninstall the drive from Device Manager then reboot and let Windows find it again.

D

dorsil

Wolfeymole said:
If you are trying to burn extra files to a disk that you have already burned some to then you may have the "Finalise Disk" option ticked in the parameters.
One other thing to try is uninstall the drive from Device Manager then reboot and let Windows find it again.
thanks m8 i'll try some of what you sugested me.thanks for now

:)

If its rw you will need to wipe the disk before you can reuse it, UNLESS you leave the session open.

There IS limited space in the table of contents, so if you write a large number of small files over a number of sessions you will get disk full before the full capacity, because the table of contents is full.

I cant remember how to wipe a RW disk, I havent used one in ages.

Dave

W

Wolfeymole

I think in Nero there are 2 options to wipe a rw dave, quick overwrite and thorough.
The latter option will take some time though, I did a cdrw the other day and it took 25 minutes.

Not suprised, the laser has to traverse the whole disk.

A mate of mine worked at a place that makes RW disks, upto 12in glass platter jobs. I used to get 'cosmetic defects' off him for free
( at the time cdrw disks cost 6 quid ea ).

They had to format each disk this way (it was a bit qicker,but not much). He was working on a bloody big flash gun to do the disk in one go , as far as I know they never did get it working, the disks just exploded. Outside laser fusion systems, I think it was one of the most powerfull flash guns ever built.

That reminds me, I must dig out that 10W IR pulse laser .....

Dave

That was bl**dy Not what it looks like! , turn down the filters !!

D

dorsil

Wolfeymole said:
I think in Nero there are 2 options to wipe a rw dave, quick overwrite and thorough.
The latter option will take some time though, I did a cdrw the other day and it took 25 minutes.
can you explain more?

W

Wolfeymole

Once you have a rewritable disk in the drive Dorsil it should give you the option to Format by Right clicking on the optical drive.
Also have a look at the options within Nero itself.

D

dorsil

Wolfeymole said:
Once you have a rewritable disk in the drive Dorsil it should give you the option to Format by Right clicking on the optical drive.
Also have a look at the options within Nero itself.
when i did r click,it gave me nothing re format
:( :(