• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.
  • Welcome to Free PC Help, a free PC Help forum to get help with your computer problems.

Free PC Help is a community that offers free computer help and support for all users, all ages, worldwide.

In order to start asking questions or contribute on someone else's post you will first need to register. Don't worry - it's quick and easy and once you have registered you will have instant access to the entire forum.

If you do decide to join the forums you will not have the option to send Private Messages [ PMs ] or add a Signature until you have made 5 posts or more. This is an attempt to try to stop Spammers using the PM system or adding links to their Signature.

Memory upgrade problem.

stephenhicks1974

FPCH New Member
Hi, two questions

I decided to increase my PC's memory today and hit a problem.
I installed the memory, started the PC, and recieved a fatal error message that appears to be in relation to the graphics card.

Took the memory out and it worked, swapped the old module for the new module, everything worked. So its only when both modules are together that it fails.

I wondered if I had bought an incompatible module. (its a DDR 3200 512mb 184 pin DIMM)
I checked the specs of the otherone by looking up its serial number hyb25d256800bt-5 and came up with
256mb DDR

Now, when I bought the PC I was told that there was no 256mb left but that they would upgrade me to 512mb for free. When I check on my PC it says there is 512mb installed. I have also had problems with slow graphics after i have been playing games for a while.

Is it possible to fool a pc into thinking a module is more than it is? (in this case 512mb instead of 256mb) or is it likelly that the serial number on the module would be incorrect?

Thats my first question
My second is

Why am I getting a fatal error message in relation to my Graphics adapter when both modules are instead but on their own all is fine?

(a fatal exception 0E has occurred at 0028:C001545A in VXD VMM(01) + 0001445A)

Confuddled
Stephen,

Jamey

FPCH Member
Firstly, no it is certainly not possible to fool a machine into thinking a module is a higher capacity than it physically is. It's a physical device and literally only has enough millions of transistors to store 256 MB rather than 512 MB.

Secondly, your memory modules are incompatible. It is always best to have two matched modules over any other configuration. Therefore, I recommend you purchase a second 512 MB module, same supplier, same manufacturer, same model, identical. Put these two 512 MB modules in together, sell on the 256 MB module.