• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.
  • Welcome to Free PC Help, a free PC Help forum to get help with your computer problems.

Free PC Help is a community that offers free computer help and support for all users, all ages, worldwide.

In order to start asking questions or contribute on someone else's post you will first need to register. Don't worry - it's quick and easy and once you have registered you will have instant access to the entire forum.

If you do decide to join the forums you will not have the option to send Private Messages [ PMs ] or add a Signature until you have made 5 posts or more. This is an attempt to try to stop Spammers using the PM system or adding links to their Signature.

missing or corrupt windows\system32\drivers\isapnp.sys

pscheriff

FPCH New Member
laptop: HP Pavilion zv5000
windows XP Home SP1a

I receive the Message: missing or corrupt windows\system32\drivers\isapnp.sys

I went to microsoft support, I was instructed to start the computer with the xp cd-rom. I followed the instructions and went to the c:\windows promt

I was to enter ren c:\windows\system32\drivers\isapnp.sys isapnp.old

I received and access denied, Now What
what does this mean, is this something I can fix or do I need to take it in to be fixed?

danzil

FPCH Member
PC Experience
Operating System
try these commands
cd \c:\windows\system32\drivers\
attrib -h -r -s isapnp.sys
the try ren isapnp isapnp.old
that may work
do you have the recovery cd and/or an xp cd
regards
danzil

pscheriff

FPCH New Member
Yes I do have the recovery cd and the xp cd when I try to boot from the recovery cd nothing happens.
I will try your suggestion and let you know.
Thank you,
Pscheriff