• Welcome to Free PC Help, a free PC Help forum to get help with your computer problems.

Free PC Help is a community that offers free computer help and support for all users, all ages, worldwide.

In order to start asking questions or contribute on someone else's post you will first need to register. Don't worry - it's quick and easy and once you have registered you will have instant access to the entire forum.

If you do decide to join the forums you will not have the option to send Private Messages [ PMs ] or add a Signature until you have made 5 posts or more. This is an attempt to try to stop Spammers using the PM system or adding links to their Signature.

modem problems with vista

centry08

Free PC Help Contributor
PC Experience
Beginner
Hi
Ive just bought a new pc which runs vista and im having problems getting connected to the internet. Im with tiscali and use the modem they sent me which is a SAGEM F@ST 800 E2T and ive updated all the divers the said too which would make it run with vista. But it will only connect for a short time then cut off when i try to reconnect I'm getting Error 651 - Your modem has reported an error can any1 plz help?

Tony D

Free PC Help Long Term Member
PC Experience
Some Experience
I'm not familiar with that modem. Am I correct in that it's a DSL modem? If so, make sure all the phones have the DSL filters installed. I've seen this same problem on installations that didn't use the filters on the house phones and answering machines.

RandyL

Administrator
PC Experience
Very Experienced
Hi centry. I don't know if this will help but you can run a diagnosis.

Go to Control Panel Home.
Below Network and Internet click on View network status and tasks.
On the left click on Diagnose and repair.

Other then that I'll leave it up to the techs to help.

RandyL

centry08

Free PC Help Contributor
PC Experience
Beginner
I think its a DSL modem it was supplied almost 3 years ago when i went with tiscali and yes all all filters are in place. Ive tried the modem on 2 comps one with windows xp which it works fine not a problem then the one with vista which is causing problems. Ive been reading up that usb modems are having probs with vista so they are reccomending ethernet/router modems but not sure if this is true or not

Tony D

Free PC Help Long Term Member
PC Experience
Some Experience
Have you checked with tiscali on this matter? They may have some insight. Also is there a disconnect when idle option? If so, you may want to disable that.

centry08

Free PC Help Contributor
PC Experience
Beginner
i havent spoke to them yet from past experiences they are not to help but i will give then a try thx for the help