• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.
  • Welcome to Free PC Help, a free PC Help forum to get help with your computer problems.

Free PC Help is a community that offers free computer help and support for all users, all ages, worldwide.

In order to start asking questions or contribute on someone else's post you will first need to register. Don't worry - it's quick and easy and once you have registered you will have instant access to the entire forum.

If you do decide to join the forums you will not have the option to send Private Messages [ PMs ] or add a Signature until you have made 5 posts or more. This is an attempt to try to stop Spammers using the PM system or adding links to their Signature.

modem/router connection

cavemandom

FPCH Member
Hiya everyone, before I start I'd just like to say I am a pc novice, so please be patient with me and excuse my spelling, I am loking for help and advce on how I can have two seperate internet connections, I have a bt voyager modem and a netgear dg834 router, can I instal both of these and then choose which one I want to use as my default connection, but I can change to the other on startup if I wish to, I hope you can understand were I'am coming from, if not or you need to know any further info, I can give you the finer details. thankyou, I hope I have come to the right place for help, if I've come to the wrong place can you point me in the right direction, all help will be much appreciated, thanx Cavemandom

cavemandom

FPCH Member
cavemandom said:
Hiya everyone, before I start I'd just like to say I am a pc novice, so please be patient with me and excuse my spelling, I am loking for help and advce on how I can have two seperate internet connections, I have a bt voyager modem and a netgear dg834 router, can I instal both of these and then choose which one I want to use as my default connection, but I can change to the other on startup if I wish to, I hope you can understand were I'am coming from, if not or you need to know any further info, I can give you the finer details. thankyou, I hope I have come to the right place for help, if I've come to the wrong place can you point me in the right direction, all help will be much appreciated, thanx Cavemandom
Do I need to go to a different forum for help, is this problem to advanced for everyone?

If you only have one DSL line coming in,you can only have one DSL router or modem.

If you have 2 lines coming in you can use two, but on what basis do you want windows to switch between the two ?

You could have one on usb and one on ethernet, just enable the one you want. I have no idea why you would want to do this.

If I had two lines coming in I would use a vigor load balancing router.

Dave

PS your question was not "to advanced for everyone" , just give somone time to answer.

cavemandom

FPCH Member
Many thanx Hardware, sorry for my inpatience, I knew the question was'nt to advanced for this forum I was looking for a reaction, it was a bit of a tounge in cheek comment, I know sarcasasm is the lowest form of wit but in past experiences I have found it to be very produvtive, I hope you will accept my apologies, the reason why I want to have two different connections is, I have been using a P2P program, it's proved to be a bit of a ***, I first used the BT voyager when I first connected to this particular site, everything was fine I had a high ID, then I changed to the netgear because I purchased a lap-top and neede to be wireless, but as soon as I crossed over to the netgear I started having all kinda problems with the P2p, low Id could'nt connect with the kad, to solve this problem I need to forward ports, but to forward ports I need a static Ip address and I just dont feel my pc skills are up to this, I dont have the confidence to do these procedures and I was looking for an easy way around this nagging problem, I hope I have explained my self in a way you can understand, I dont meen to come across arrogant but my self believe in my own pc skills are very limited, hope you can help me out, again sorry for a wobbly start and thankyou for any advice you can give me. Cavemandom

Ok now I know what you are doing.

Forget the bt modem, they are a pile of **** and no security.

The netgear is quite easy to use. First you need to make sure it always gives you the same private ip adr. I dont have one handy but from memory there is a page that shows all the current dhcp leases. You just need to find yours and create a static assignment. After you reboot your pc you should be given that ip adr. Next you need to create a service (thats what I think they call it). There are a number of preset services, if one matches what you want to forward remember what it is called. If not create a new service to forward the correct ports. Next you need to tell it where to forward the ports to,I think its under firewall rules. Just add the rule to your ip adr and you are done.

If you read the manual what I am saying will make more sense.

Dave

cavemandom

FPCH Member
Dave it's just gone midnight and I've just checked the thread to see if you'd replied, that sounds like a ****-load of technical doings to me,remember I am a novice, could you please break it down into easy to follow steps and at the end of each task I will report back to you to let you know how I am bearing up, many many thanx for your kind help cavemandom