• Welcome to Free PC Help, a free PC Help forum to get help with your computer problems.

Free PC Help is a community that offers free computer help and support for all users, all ages, worldwide.

In order to start asking questions or contribute on someone else's post you will first need to register. Don't worry - it's quick and easy and once you have registered you will have instant access to the entire forum.

If you do decide to join the forums you will not have the option to send Private Messages [ PMs ] or add a Signature until you have made 5 posts or more. This is an attempt to try to stop Spammers using the PM system or adding links to their Signature.

Monitor Problems

jac4sufc

FPCH New Member
Hi,
I recently have had a problem when turning on my machine. When getting to the signing in page where my password is needed, i get the message on a black screen, input signal out of range, and am given 20 seconds to make a connection before the monitor goes onto standby. I have no idea why this had happened or how to fix it. The mouse and keyboard do not react to movement and i dont know what to do, please help me!!!!

maynardvdm

FPCH Long Term Member
Hi jac

Welcome to Free PC Help

When the pc starts tap F8 to get into safe mode then change the settings of the graphics to a supported setting. You can also try changing the refresh rate to a setting the monitor supports.

jac4sufc

FPCH New Member
Just tried that, and whe the screen after tapping F8, i selected safe mode and then it asked for the operating system i wanted to start with (windows XP) i seleceted that and then when the safe mode looked asif it is about to boot up, the input signal out of range warning returns.
Arghhhhhhhh!!!
should i try safe mode with networking or command prompt or do something else. Please help.

Bluesplayer.

FPCH Long Term Member
You could try system restore..may work.
System restore.
Tap f8 while your system is starting up.
Choose safe mode with command prompt.
Log on as admin.
At command prompt type
%systemroot%\system32\restore\rstrui.exe

Or.
Turn the computer off and disconnect it from the power
Take off the side of the case and touch the bare metal chassis to discharge static.
Remove Video card from their slot

Reseat Video card.

Tony D

Free PC Help Long Term Member
PC Experience
Some Experience
or - get to the startup menu as you've done by tapping the F8 key. If there's an option to boot to Last Known Good Configuration, try that.

What seems to be happening here is that the resolution is too high for your monitor. It could also be a bad monitor or a bad video card.

It's disturbing that you couldn't get it to work in Safe Mode. In Safe Mode.

AdvancedSetup

FPCH Long Term Member
Well something else going on if the monitor is doing that while starting SAFE MODE as it automatically goes to 640x480 at 60Hz to prevent any video issues.

Do you have another computer there or a friend near by where you can test your monitor on their system. It could be a hardware issue with the monitor or a hardware issue with your computer. Using the monitor on another computer should help to pin point which one is having the issue.