• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.
  • Welcome to Free PC Help, a free PC Help forum to get help with your computer problems.

Free PC Help is a community that offers free computer help and support for all users, all ages, worldwide.

In order to start asking questions or contribute on someone else's post you will first need to register. Don't worry - it's quick and easy and once you have registered you will have instant access to the entire forum.

If you do decide to join the forums you will not have the option to send Private Messages [ PMs ] or add a Signature until you have made 5 posts or more. This is an attempt to try to stop Spammers using the PM system or adding links to their Signature.

Monitor problems

glenfrith

FPCH New Member
Ok help me out guys. Friend rebooted pc tower with genuine windows xp.Now when pc fires up, just as windows fires up, monitor switches off. tried monitor on another pc ...works fine. Tried pc with different monitor...works fine. Put pc and monitor together...switches itsef off!! Any help desperately appreciated as now considering buying complete new pc.

Jamey

FPCH Member
There's no point in buying a completely new computer if it works with another monitor, you may as well buy another monitor! It sounds like Windows has recognised your existing monitor and is setting the display resolution and/or refresh rate incorrectly during boot up.

Try starting your computer in Safe Mode. If that works, your screen resolution or refresh rate are set incorrectly. Read these articles:

Change your monitor resolution
How To Change the Screen Refresh Rate of Your Monitor in Windows XP

Try lowering both and then restarting your computer as normal.

Manoj

FPCH New Member
MONITOR PROBLEM..............
SIR WHEN I START MY COMPUTER THE SCREEN IS VERY BLUR OR BLACK AT STARTING AND IT TAKE 30-40 MINUTE TIME TO CLEAR DISPLAY.
WHAT I DO.
THIS IS MONITOR PROBLEM OR CPU.
MY SYSTEM CONFIG IS
40GB HDD
INTEL 1.7gHZ PROCESSOR
256 RAM
SAMSUNG MONITOR