• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.
  • Welcome to Free PC Help, a free PC Help forum to get help with your computer problems.

Free PC Help is a community that offers free computer help and support for all users, all ages, worldwide.

In order to start asking questions or contribute on someone else's post you will first need to register. Don't worry - it's quick and easy and once you have registered you will have instant access to the entire forum.

If you do decide to join the forums you will not have the option to send Private Messages [ PMs ] or add a Signature until you have made 5 posts or more. This is an attempt to try to stop Spammers using the PM system or adding links to their Signature.

Motherboard Help

doomzday101

FPCH New Member
PC Experience
Beginner
Operating System
Hi all,i wanna replace my Dell Dimension 5100 motherboard but i can't use any diagnostic tool or the bios to do it because the pc doesn't boot. Is there anyway of physically looking at the motherboard to determine its manufacturer and the model number?

Match

Free PC Help Tech Member
Yes its a Dell Dimension 5100 motherboard, available through Dell. Replace it with anything else and you will be hit with the cost of a new OS as well

Parts, Upgrades & Supplies

What is an OEM license?

ANSWER. An “OEM” license is a license distributed by an Original Equipment Manufacturer, or an “OEM.” An OEM is a person or company who builds and sells computers. Some OEMs also distribute software, especially operating systems such as Microsoft Windows.

What is the difference between OEM product and Full-Packaged Product (FPP)?

ANSWER. OEM products are intended to be preinstalled on hardware before the end user purchases the product. They are “shrink wrapped” and do not come in a box like the retail products do. Full-Packaged Product (FPP) is boxed with CD(s), manuals, and the EULA and is sold in retail stores in individual boxes. The End User License Agreements (commonly referred to as “EULAs”) for OEM and FPP products are slightly different. One main difference is that an OEM operating system license (such as the license for Windows) cannot be transferred from its original PC to another PC. However, the FPP version of Windows may be transferred to another PC as long as the EULA, manual and media (such as the backup CD) accompany the transfer to the other PC. Also, when a customer purchases an OEM product, the OEM license requires the OEM to provide support for the product.

If I upgrade some of my PC components, do I have to purchase a new operating system?

ANSWER. The answer depends on the components that are upgraded or changed in the PC. The operating system licenses must remain with the device that retains the motherboard, chipsets, and chassis that include the serial number of the device. The operating system may be installed on a new/replacement hard drive as long as the operating system is first removed from the old hard drive.

Please refer to the section on “Modifications to hardware and how they affect the activation status of Windows XP” in the following link for a more detailed explanation regarding specific hardware changes. The same hardware component changes that can be made to a PC before requiring re-activation of Windows XP are the same changes that can be made before a PC is considered to be “new” - and when a new license for OEM software is required.
http://66.102.9.132/search?q=cache:...rosoft+OEM+licensing&cd=2&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=uk

Last edited: