• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.
  • Welcome to Free PC Help, a free PC Help forum to get help with your computer problems.

Free PC Help is a community that offers free computer help and support for all users, all ages, worldwide.

In order to start asking questions or contribute on someone else's post you will first need to register. Don't worry - it's quick and easy and once you have registered you will have instant access to the entire forum.

If you do decide to join the forums you will not have the option to send Private Messages [ PMs ] or add a Signature until you have made 5 posts or more. This is an attempt to try to stop Spammers using the PM system or adding links to their Signature.

Mouse & Keyboard not working after trying new Grafix card!

smekat

FPCH Member
Hello I run windows XP off a desktop and I HAD an nvidea grafix card. It had a terrible problem working with the sims 2 and Maxis (who make sims) and nvidea (after 2 years) could not figure out who was at fault. So I got me a ATI radeon and uninstalled the old driver, put in the new card, and booted the PC up.
It starts, gets to the 'New Hardware found' page.... but I cannot use my mouse or keyboard to get to the 'NEXT' button. Nothing I try works. We also tried an old ps2 mouse and keyboard incase it was a USB problem. Still nothing!! I just need to be able to click next to install, but even putting the old card back in wont change it!! I just need to move my mouse or tab my keyboard!!
It was a custom built PC from 2 years ago and works fine usually. It worked well with the sims until a certain extension pack came out and then I had crashing issues with the Sims. Thats what I got the new card for.
Any ideas please??
Many thanks
Kat lost in PC land!

W

Wolfeymole

Hello Kat

Welcome to Free PC Help

Did you install the ATI driver before you installed the card?

smekat

FPCH Member
Hey Wolf, no we didn't. Its on a disc and we followed instructions to not do that!!!!
I did say to my partner I wish we had!!

W

Wolfeymole

Its on a disc and we followed instructions to not do that
Not to do that? Why?

Shut down and take the card out.
Re-start and install the driver and shut down.
Install the card and boot up.

With hardware I always find that it is best to install the driver first, printers are a perfect example.

smekat

FPCH Member
hello...
it is sandi here as i am doing all the gumph.....
any way have tried to do that but the problem is then apparent on the old graphics card I put in.
Done lots of stuff in the bios too.
man all i need to do is move the mouse or press enter.
but cannot do either .
I should have trusted my gut and did what I thought best not what the instructions say..grrr!!
and thanks for the quick response
sandi

W

Wolfeymole

Ok Sandi for the moment in time can you run off the onboard graphics then you can get the ATI driver installed.

What frightens me is your statement, "Done lots of stuff in the bios too.", just what have you done Sandi?

smekat

FPCH Member
hi there..
do not worry done nowt wrong in bios just set it to optimal setting . thats not the problem....
there is no onboard graphics card on a Gigabyte GA-K8NXP-9 well not that I am aware
thanks again for quick reply :)

smekat

FPCH Member
hi.
the keyboard works in bios also just when it boots into xp it just freezes, tap tab does nowt.
mouse arrow will not move....
hope this helps.:?)

W

Wolfeymole

Ok if the old card is back in then reboot and tap F8 to get into Safe Mode.

In here choose Last Known Good Configuration and see if that helps.

Seth

FPCH Long Term Member
Operating System
Windows Vista - Home Premium
Change the bios to the default settings and see what happens.

smekat

FPCH Member
Hey Wolf, when you first boot a PC up it has the black screen on there and a load of writing pops up, where you get choices to press <F1> etc its there, it wont get past that bit!!
I really am ready to toss it out the window!!!
We really are stuck now, worse thing is I have all the pics and vids of my baby on there!! I say baby, she is 2 now, so 2 years of pics and vids add up to a whole lotta love!!
Thanks for your kindness.
Kat

Tony D

Free PC Help Long Term Member
PC Experience
Some Experience
Operating System
OSX
Are you familiar with XP Repair? If so, give it a try. If not, get back here for instructions.

smekat

FPCH Member
Thanks for that Info, but when we put the disc in we cannot click with mouse or keyboard what option we want!! LOL it is becoming more and more laughable at least!!

W

Wolfeymole

Ok as Seth said go back into the Bios and go back to Default settings and re-start.
Then get back to us.