• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.
  • Welcome to Free PC Help, a free PC Help forum to get help with your computer problems.

Free PC Help is a community that offers free computer help and support for all users, all ages, worldwide.

In order to start asking questions or contribute on someone else's post you will first need to register. Don't worry - it's quick and easy and once you have registered you will have instant access to the entire forum.

If you do decide to join the forums you will not have the option to send Private Messages [ PMs ] or add a Signature until you have made 5 posts or more. This is an attempt to try to stop Spammers using the PM system or adding links to their Signature.

mscvrl.dll not found???<<HELP!

dave1001

FPCH New Member
Hello,

I'm new to these forums.

I've gone to log on to the internet on my PC and it won't let me it appears saying...

"This application has failed to start because msvcrl.dll was not found"

I don't have a clue what this means. Can anyone please help.

DEVO

FPCH New Member
if someone sends me a link in an e-mail
i cant activate it,i just click away and nothing happens

varispeed

FPCH Member
PC Experience
Very Experienced
Operating System
Windows XP - Professional
The file msvcrl.dll is part of Trojan.Looksky. There are plenty overviews of Looksky around the net.
It's delivered either by hoax email or "drive by download" among others.

The msvcrl.dll is not a file required by Internet Explorer. What's happened is the Internet Explorer executable (iexplore.exe) has been patched by malware to use this malicious DLL code library. The malware infection that includes msvcrl.dll has been removed - most likely by an anti-virus or anti-spyware program; hence the error when you try to use Internet Explorer.

It's easily fixed by using System File Checker.

To run system file checker:

1. Insert your Windows XP installation disc.

NOTE: If you use an OEM system (Dell, HP, Packard Bell, IBM etc) proceed to 2. OEM systems rarely come with the XP installation CD. However the installation files are usually in a folder on your hard drive called "\I386". The registry has information on where the installation files are so SFC will be able to find it automatically.

2. Click Start ---> Run, then type in "sfc /scannow" and hit the Enter key.

3. System File Checker will display a dialog with a progress indicator. Wait for this to finish.

4. Once SFC is done try using Internet Explorer to verify everything is now okay.