• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.
  • Welcome to Free PC Help, a free PC Help forum to get help with your computer problems.

Free PC Help is a community that offers free computer help and support for all users, all ages, worldwide.

In order to start asking questions or contribute on someone else's post you will first need to register. Don't worry - it's quick and easy and once you have registered you will have instant access to the entire forum.

If you do decide to join the forums you will not have the option to send Private Messages [ PMs ] or add a Signature until you have made 5 posts or more. This is an attempt to try to stop Spammers using the PM system or adding links to their Signature.

my british pound sign has changed to a letter J

houdini

FPCH New Member
Please help somebody...

Recently, on every website I visit, when there is a price of something on the screen, eg. 2.99, the british pound sign no longer appears in front of the price, it has now been replaced by the letter J. So it now reads J2.99.
This happens on all websites I visit, ebay, argos, play.com ect, everytime. The pound sign no longer exists on my system.

My laptop was bought in the US, but was working fine until last week, pound sign was fine. But as of a few days ago something seems to have happened.

Anyone help???
Its very frustating

Cheers

houdini

FPCH New Member
thanx for reply

as my laptop was bought in the US, there is no british pound sign on the keyboard, only a US dollar sign. As I say though, it was fine until recently

Cheers

Create a text file on another pc with a pound sign in it. Open file on laptop and see if you get a pound sign.

I need to know if this just a IE problem or not.

dave

danzil

FPCH Member
PC Experience
Operating System
ry checking your regional and language options in control panel make sure all is set to united kingdom
do as hardware dave said try it on another pc,save it it then load it on your pc
regards
danzil

houdini

FPCH New Member
It seems to be more than just an IE problem. I recently loaded in a version of monopoly from a cd-rom, and all the uk pond signs came up as a question mark, ie - ?.

While on the internet I still get the letter J instead of the pound sign, now on this particular cd-rom the pound sign comes out as this - ?

any suggestions lads

RandyL

Administrator
PC Experience
Very Experienced
Hi houdini;
Since it now appears it's not just an IE issue as Dave asked, you should follow danzil's instructions. Check your regional and language options in control panel.

RandyL

houdini

FPCH New Member
I have checked my regional settings, the language is definately set english, and i'm not curently running any other languages.

someone suggested clicking on 'view' in IE and changing the encoding to Western European (windows). This also has made no difference, I'm still getting a letter J instead of a british pound sign. I am able to type the pound sign in on word doc, so it just seems to be display problem.

I have noticed a few other people around the forums with the same problem, but as yet, no one seems to have a solid solution.

Any one got any more ideas ????

Cheers.

AdvancedSetup

FPCH Long Term Member
Well I don't have an exact answer, but I certainly would think that it's in the Regional Setting some where.

Please take a look at these links and see if one of them helps. If you do get it corrected please post back what corrected it so that others that run into the same issue can get assistance as well.

Setting the user and system locales

ISO/IEC 8859-1 at wikipedia

problem-with-british-pound-sign

What can I do with regional formats and languages?

Change the display of dates, times, currency, and measurements

Type and display accents and diacritical marks

(not really your issue but thought I would share it anyways)
The Microsoft AppLocale Utility

(again no fix here but more information for those curious)
Unicode and You

Very deep subject on UNICODE and such - typically for the programmer, however if you just can not
seem to fix the issue after trying the above you may be able to post or send e-mail asking for
assitance from here.
Sorting It All Out