• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.
  • Welcome to Free PC Help, a free PC Help forum to get help with your computer problems.

Free PC Help is a community that offers free computer help and support for all users, all ages, worldwide.

In order to start asking questions or contribute on someone else's post you will first need to register. Don't worry - it's quick and easy and once you have registered you will have instant access to the entire forum.

If you do decide to join the forums you will not have the option to send Private Messages [ PMs ] or add a Signature until you have made 5 posts or more. This is an attempt to try to stop Spammers using the PM system or adding links to their Signature.

My computer simply wont turn on

Spida

FPCH New Member
I built my own pc with a computer wiz friend 3 years ago and it has been working totally fine however about 1 week ago i went to turn it on and nothing happened!!

I thought it may be the fuse in the plug so i used my monitor cable and nothing happened again!

I had a look at the innerds and everything is plugged in fine.

To be more precise what happens is this.

If i turn on the plug and insert the plug into the socket in nthe back of my computer i hear a tiny short buzz. Then when i press the "on" button the fan kicks off to start and my computer seems to e about to boot up, but about half a second after it kicks off it simply stops again! then no matter how many times i tap the on button nothing happens.

To get the "kick off" thingy again i need to remove the cable from the back and then put it in again.

If ANYONE is a total computer wizz and can help i will be MASSIVELY appreciative.

Ta!

Seth

FPCH Long Term Member
Operating System
Windows Vista - Home Premium
Welcome Spida.

You're in a tough position as you have a hardware problem in which you almost always will need to swap out parts to find the defective device. Typical failures in this case will be the power supply or the video card. But then again, it could also be any hardware device.

If you're comfortable with opening up a computer to check some things, then I will advise further. Otherwise the computer will need to go into a repair shop.

C

CrazyComputerMan

I have built several computer and i have built my own PC and my PC worked fine,

Did you connect 4 PIN connectors? (used for fan, This power is VERY important)

Did you touch any metals connectors? like RAM, RAM can become unworkable if you touch metal because of static electricity?

Do you check compatible for hardware?

Can you show us the specifications that you've built?