• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.
  • Welcome to Free PC Help, a free PC Help forum to get help with your computer problems.

Free PC Help is a community that offers free computer help and support for all users, all ages, worldwide.

In order to start asking questions or contribute on someone else's post you will first need to register. Don't worry - it's quick and easy and once you have registered you will have instant access to the entire forum.

If you do decide to join the forums you will not have the option to send Private Messages [ PMs ] or add a Signature until you have made 5 posts or more. This is an attempt to try to stop Spammers using the PM system or adding links to their Signature.

My Computer Wont Start!!!

Hi,

I turned my computer on and got this error message:

"windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt: system32\DRIVERS\pci.sys"

It said to hit "r" or something to repair which I think I did on the very first screen that appears when you start up and I then go this message:

"Windows could not start because of an error in the software. Please report this problem as:

Load needed DLL's for kernels."

Not sure what to do now, any suggestions would be most appreciated!!!

Thanks.

Forgot to mention, Windows XP, computer is iQon. Also I am a complete novice re computers so any replies you would be so kind as to post can they be as simple as poss.

Thanks!!!!!!!!

Thanks for the super quick reply!!!

I dont seem to be able to access the safe mode using f8 so cant try the first and I have read the link to the other option and think this may be a bit too advanced for me.

Any ideas why the old f8 option isnt working for me?

Also, is it a problem that I dont have any set up disks etc should things continue to go boobs skyward?

W

Wolfeymole

As soon as the pc starts Max keep continually tapping F8 rather than just a single tap, try that and get back to us please.

still no joy. it skips through the first two screens dead quick then gets to the black screen. only difference is, the error message goes straight to:

"Windows could not start because of an error in the software. Please report this problem as:

Load needed DLL's for kernels."

as opposed to:

"windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt: system32\DRIVERS\pci.sys"

is it a lost cause?

Unfortunately I have no cd roms of any note as my ex girlfriend unfortunately "lost" them when I got the PC back from her.

Im not doing too well here am I, although your help is very much appreciated.

Any other ideas?

W

Wolfeymole

Well to be perfectly honest Max without a disk your well up the pipe.
You may be able to try a disk from someone else to run a repair but you will definitely have to have a disk.

Sorry mate.

I feared as much.

I will keep bashing the f8 key and see if this brings any joy otherwise I may have to take it to someone to fix for me at an extortianate rate.

Thanks for your help anyway.

Much appreciated.

I own a computer shop, we are not that expensive for what we do. I used to be a plumber and charged a lot more for a lot less.

Most small computer shops will burn you a copy of xp, without a key its usless anyway (you do have a licence key on the case dont you?).

I would be a bit worried that a file has just gone awol, its usualy a sign that the hard disk is failing. Thats somthing a computer shop would check for while its being repaired.

Dave

PS I would bet most of the people who help out on the site have worked IT support at one time or another.