• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.
  • Welcome to Free PC Help, a free PC Help forum to get help with your computer problems.

Free PC Help is a community that offers free computer help and support for all users, all ages, worldwide.

In order to start asking questions or contribute on someone else's post you will first need to register. Don't worry - it's quick and easy and once you have registered you will have instant access to the entire forum.

If you do decide to join the forums you will not have the option to send Private Messages [ PMs ] or add a Signature until you have made 5 posts or more. This is an attempt to try to stop Spammers using the PM system or adding links to their Signature.

My Pc keeps going into start up mode

helbelsuk

FPCH New Member
Whilst i was writing an email the other day i had a power cut. When i tried to turn my pc back on it kept going back to start up mode. The windows XP starts to load but then goes back to start up mode. I have tried to put my pc in safe mode but its not happening. I cant do anything. My pc was working fine before that and i had done a virus scan the night before so every seemed pretty normal up until the point of the power cut. Can anyone help

Thanks

Jamey

FPCH Member
It sounds like a crucial system file has become corrupt because it was in use when you had the power cut. Usually this is a problem with the registry, which is a central database that holds the important settings for Windows. There are detailed instructions in the following article to restore a backup copy of your registry:

How to recover from a corrupted registry that prevents Windows XP from starting

You'll have to be very careful and follow the guide exactly. It would be wise to print it out beforehand and use it for reference. Good luck! :)