• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.
  • Welcome to Free PC Help, a free PC Help forum to get help with your computer problems.

Free PC Help is a community that offers free computer help and support for all users, all ages, worldwide.

In order to start asking questions or contribute on someone else's post you will first need to register. Don't worry - it's quick and easy and once you have registered you will have instant access to the entire forum.

If you do decide to join the forums you will not have the option to send Private Messages [ PMs ] or add a Signature until you have made 5 posts or more. This is an attempt to try to stop Spammers using the PM system or adding links to their Signature.

My PC wont boot

Matty128

FPCH Member
My computer has been playing up for a while now. It kept on shutting itself down within 10 minites of logging in. I thought it was because of a faulty graphics card driver I had recently put in so, I decided to uninstall it. Then turning my pc on after uninstalling the driver, my moniter says 'out of range'.

I've tried starting it in safe mode again, but the same message comes up.

Any suggestions?
Thankyou

W

Wolfeymole

Hi Matty

Welcome to FPCH

Do you have onboard graphics and if so have you tried plugging into that?
Have you got the latest graphics driver for either the board or the card?

Matty128

FPCH Member
Thanks a lot, maynardvdm

I tried what you said and it managed to boot. I then installed the original driver and now it works fine.

This will help when I get my new graphics card aswell (GeForce 8800gt alpha dog standard) (may it do this again)

What I don't understand is why it worked in this mode but not safe mode, not that it matters.

anyway, thanks again.

Seth

FPCH Long Term Member
Operating System
Windows Vista - Home Premium
Thanks a lot, maynardvdm

I tried what you said and it managed to boot. I then installed the original driver and now it works fine.

This will help when I get my new graphics card aswell (GeForce 8800gt alpha dog standard) (may it do this again)

What I don't understand is why it worked in this mode but not safe mode, not that it matters.

anyway, thanks again.
It didn't work in Safe Mode as only a basic video driver is loaded. As such, the video card would put out a resolution that is too low (out of range) for the LCD.

VGA mode installs a Window's VGA driver to allow a resolution that the LCD will support.

Matty128

FPCH Member
A graphics card problem

Hello again guys

I have a bit of a problem with my new graphics card.
Its a XFX GeForce 8800gt alpha dog xxx edition 256 model (what a mouthful).
It seems to be running at low frames per second. Compared to my old GeForce 7300 (a strictly budget card), it is slower.
Considering my new one cost me £100 pounds, I'm wondering if its my processor and RAM dragging it back.

I have a pentium 4 processor and 1gb of RAM.

By all means I should be able to play high end games at high settings. but I'm even getting low frames per second on Team fortress 2, which my 7300 ran fine.

Just wondering if its my processor or a bigger problem and if it is, can anyone recomend me a decent processor.

Thanks

Last edited: