• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.
  • Welcome to Free PC Help, a free PC Help forum to get help with your computer problems.

Free PC Help is a community that offers free computer help and support for all users, all ages, worldwide.

In order to start asking questions or contribute on someone else's post you will first need to register. Don't worry - it's quick and easy and once you have registered you will have instant access to the entire forum.

If you do decide to join the forums you will not have the option to send Private Messages [ PMs ] or add a Signature until you have made 5 posts or more. This is an attempt to try to stop Spammers using the PM system or adding links to their Signature.

Need help guys! Hard drive problem!

Hey guys, I'm in serious need of help!

A few weeks ago I removed my 2nd hard drive from my PC. It was just used to store pics/vids/work.

Today I re connected it and booted up, but the drive wasn't showing in my computer. It also took about 2 minutes for the computer to boot (it hung in the vista boot window, the one with the little green line going from left to right).

I've gone into computer management > disk management, and it is showing up there. I've gave it a new letter, S, and it now shows in My Computer. However, when i click it, it says I must format the drive before I can access it.

I have so many photo's, video's and university work on there, I really cannot lose this stuff.

Can anyone offer any help as to what I should do?

Thanks

Siobhan x

maynardvdm

FPCH Long Term Member
Hi

Welcome to Free PC Help.

I deleted your post in the Vista thread because it is the same. We will stick to this thread for this problem.

Does the hard drive show in BIOS? Is it IDE or SATA?

Can I ask why you changed the drive letter Siobhan?
Well the drive was originaly called "Siobhan's stuff", but when I re connected it and found it wasn't there, and went to disk management - it didn't have a letter, so I just picked S. I was told by a friend that if I change the letter, it will appear in My Computer. Which it has, just not able to get in to it.

W

Wolfeymole

The drive should have been found when you connected it Siobahn, can I ask if this drive contained an operating system at all?
Try changing it back to the original drive name and get back to us.

Tony D

Free PC Help Long Term Member
PC Experience
Some Experience
Operating System
OSX
This is strange. Have you restarted your comptuer with the 2nd drive attached? it may come up.

The drive should have been found when you connected it Siobahn, can I ask if this drive contained an operating system at all?
Try changing it back to the original drive name and get back to us.
Yes it used to contain an operating system, but I've used it since then just for files and it's worked fine. I'm not sure if the OS was removed, i just used it for files.

I cannot rename the file using right click, it says I must first format. I can only change the device letter using disk management, but it does nothing.

PC Experience
Elite PC Guru
Operating System
Windows Vista - Home Premium
Siobahn, when you went into disk management did you activate the disk or just give it a drive letter?
to activte you need to right click on where it says DISK 0 or 1 whichever is the one with the big black line next to it and then click activate disk and should thenbe recognisable in my computer - if not come back and let us know pls

Siobahn, when you went into disk management did you activate the disk or just give it a drive letter?
to activte you need to right click on where it says DISK 0 or 1 whichever is the one with the big black line next to it and then click activate disk and should thenbe recognisable in my computer - if not come back and let us know pls
Yes I activated it, and then it appeared in my computer but still needed to be formatted to be accessed. I then gave it a letter to see if that would help, but it never.

RandyL

Administrator
PC Experience
Very Experienced
A quick question. Why did you previously remove the drive? Was it giving you any problems?

A quick question. Why did you previously remove the drive? Was it giving you any problems?
I kept on getting the blue screen of death, so I took a few things out to try get to the problem. Turns out I had a bad stick of RAM. I just didnt get round to puttin the hard drive bak in

Have you set this second drive to slave as it used to be master?
Yes.

The main hard drive is set as Primary Master

The hard drive which isn't working is Primary Slave

And the CD Drive is Secondary Slave.

Is this as it should be?

Thanks for all the help so far, I'll be sure to make a donation as soon as we get to the bottom of this :)