• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.
  • Welcome to Free PC Help, a free PC Help forum to get help with your computer problems.

Free PC Help is a community that offers free computer help and support for all users, all ages, worldwide.

In order to start asking questions or contribute on someone else's post you will first need to register. Don't worry - it's quick and easy and once you have registered you will have instant access to the entire forum.

If you do decide to join the forums you will not have the option to send Private Messages [ PMs ] or add a Signature until you have made 5 posts or more. This is an attempt to try to stop Spammers using the PM system or adding links to their Signature.

networking problem in vista

gaffer

FPCH New Member
i have a laptop running xp on wireless broadband ive just bought a new laptop running vista how can i connect the new one to my wireless broadband wot iam running my windows xp on thanx

RandyL

Administrator
PC Experience
Very Experienced
Hi gaffer;

From the Vista help files:

If you have a mobile PC, you can see a list of available wireless networks, and then connect to one of those networks, no matter where you are. The wireless networks appear only if your computer has a wireless network adapter installed and the adapter is turned on.
  1. In Control Panel Home click on Network and Internet. Under Network and Sharing click on Connect to a network.
  2. In the Show list, click Wireless.
    You'll see a list of the wireless networks currently available.
  3. Click a network, and then click Connect.
    If you don't see the network you want to connect to, click Set up a connection or network. A list of options will appear that includes manually searching for and connecting to a network, as well as creating a new network connection.
    Some networks require a network security key or passphrase. To connect to one of those networks, ask the network administrator or the service provider for the key or passphrase.
WarningWhenever possible, you should connect to security-enabled wireless networks. If you do connect to a network that is not secure, be aware that someone with the right tools can see everything that you do, including the websites you visit, the documents you work on, and the user names and passwords that you use.

RandyL