• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.
  • Welcome to Free PC Help, a free PC Help forum to get help with your computer problems.

Free PC Help is a community that offers free computer help and support for all users, all ages, worldwide.

In order to start asking questions or contribute on someone else's post you will first need to register. Don't worry - it's quick and easy and once you have registered you will have instant access to the entire forum.

If you do decide to join the forums you will not have the option to send Private Messages [ PMs ] or add a Signature until you have made 5 posts or more. This is an attempt to try to stop Spammers using the PM system or adding links to their Signature.

networking

I need help with retrieving files from the main computer in our network. The files are set to share, but I don't know how to get to them in order to get them onto my computer.

danzil

FPCH Member
PC Experience
Operating System
are you on a domain or a workgroup.
go to my computer>tools>map network drive>then click browse..browse for the machine with the share on it...then click the folder..then map that drive....
alternativly get the ip address of the share pc then type in run \\ "ip"\share name...this should then load the folder.....
in theory this should all be done by log in script....mapping the drive is the best bet because when you load ya pc up next time it will auto connect to it...
we are probably gonna need some more info really...thats all i can give at the mo...#
to find out if our on a domain......go to start>control panel>system>computer name...it will either say workgroup or your domain name in there
regards
danzil

danzil

FPCH Member
PC Experience
Operating System
have you tried mapping a drive also,,,,,,,you could go to control panel>network connections>my network places>view workgroup computers...see if you can actually see the sharing pc in your workgroup if so browse to the shared folder,then right click it and map the drive....
try that
regards
danzil

I can't see the other computer in my network places. I had set his computer to share the whole c drive, but it doesn't show up on my computer.

danzil

FPCH Member
PC Experience
Operating System
ok are you both in the same workgroup,,,,if you go back to where i showed you (to see if oyu are on a domain)does it say workgroup if so,then this is the default setting for xp this does not mean you are connected to each other...
you should put your own unique workgroup name in ie oakvalleygirl and the same on the orther machine.....
it should ask for you to reboot,when you log back on you should be able to share fine if not re post back...
have you gone through this setup yet.....is file and printer sharing tuned on in the firewall.
sharing the whole of the c: isnt always good,this means anyone connected to you wireless or network can easily view those file and change/delete them too.
regards
danzil

I checked everything out, and now I can see his computer in the workgroup. I can access anthing I need from it .I want to thank you very much for your help. couldn't have done it without you.

maynardvdm

FPCH Long Term Member
This thread appears to be solved and is now closed

If you are the original poster of this thread and need it re-opened, then please PM (Private Message) an Administrator or Moderator