• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.
  • Welcome to Free PC Help, a free PC Help forum to get help with your computer problems.

Free PC Help is a community that offers free computer help and support for all users, all ages, worldwide.

In order to start asking questions or contribute on someone else's post you will first need to register. Don't worry - it's quick and easy and once you have registered you will have instant access to the entire forum.

If you do decide to join the forums you will not have the option to send Private Messages [ PMs ] or add a Signature until you have made 5 posts or more. This is an attempt to try to stop Spammers using the PM system or adding links to their Signature.

New Dvd Drive Not Working

Topgear

FPCH Member
Hello, I have a medion cybermaxx MD4349 laptop I recently brought a new dvd drive, It is "physically" installed in my laptop but it isnt showing up on the BIOS it says "Secondary master not installed", and it isnt anywhere in my computer either, Any ideas why this is happening? Your help would be much appreciated.

londonles

FPCH Member
PC Experience
Very Experienced
Operating System
Windows Vista - Home Premium
When you say physically installed do you replaced the old drive and put a new one in?

londonles

FPCH Member
PC Experience
Very Experienced
Operating System
Ok did you set the jumpers on the back of the drive it must show as a slave unit for the bios to see it

londonles

FPCH Member
PC Experience
Very Experienced
Operating System
on the back of the drive where the unit plugs in is there not a power plug and a 6/8 pin plug with a small plastic jumper?

Topgear

FPCH Member
No not that I can see, people I know have mentioned jumpers but it doesnt seem to have any is this possible?

londonles

FPCH Member
PC Experience
Very Experienced
Operating System
yes it is possible can you tell me the make of the drive please, also have gone in to the bios and looked at the settings to see if the drive select is set to manula or auto?

Topgear

FPCH Member
Ok, it is an LG GWA-4040N, and I think it is set to Auto- but thats my primary drive which is the hard drive

londonles

FPCH Member
PC Experience
Very Experienced
Operating System
The bios would normally check for a secondary slave drive make sure your drive settings are correct in the bios, also does the dvd drive light come on power up?

Topgear

FPCH Member
The dvd light does come on yes, and the BIOS does say that there is a secondary drive but it says it's not installed although the drive seems to be in right

londonles

FPCH Member
PC Experience
Very Experienced
Operating System
if there are no other physical settings to change or any jumpers to set then i would query whether the drive is faulty then.

Topgear

FPCH Member
Well at first I got a Sony dvd drive and the same thing happened, so it cant be the drive that is faulty, it's like I need to tell the system it is there but im not sure how to as it isnt anywhere on the computer