• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.
  • Welcome to Free PC Help, a free PC Help forum to get help with your computer problems.

Free PC Help is a community that offers free computer help and support for all users, all ages, worldwide.

In order to start asking questions or contribute on someone else's post you will first need to register. Don't worry - it's quick and easy and once you have registered you will have instant access to the entire forum.

If you do decide to join the forums you will not have the option to send Private Messages [ PMs ] or add a Signature until you have made 5 posts or more. This is an attempt to try to stop Spammers using the PM system or adding links to their Signature.

new dvd writer

leadshot

FPCH New Member
hi everyone newbie here lookin for some help,my sony dvd writer was working intermitently,it would read and burn dvds but not cds,i have replaced the dvd writer with a liteon and made this the master,and made the sony the slave.if i click on the new dvd writer it says k: is not accessable incorect function.and if i try to use the slave it says drive not found, i,m using win xp.if i go into device manager and click on the new writer it says it is working correctly it clearly isnt:mad: inthe device manager i have found two more writers? a copystar fantom dvdrom scsi cdrom device and a hf 2152p kvq242e scsi cd rom drive? if i remove these drives they just reinstall.any answers help please.
regards leadshot

W

Wolfeymole

Hi Leadshot

Welcome to FPCH

Are these 2 SCSI drives wired straight onto the board or via a card?
The way your talking about jumpers indicates the other drives are IDE so what happens when you unattach the SCSI drives completely?

leadshot

FPCH New Member
new drive

hi thank you for your reply,i,m sorry you have lost me now its a medion computer,the original dvd writer as started acting up so i thought it was time to change it.i got hold of an oem liteon dvd writer.i just did a straight exchange,and made the new drive the master and the old sony the slave.they are both on the same ribbon on to the board?:confused:i,m guesing i bet the liteon is a scsi,if so how to i go on now?
regards leadshot derbys

W

Wolfeymole

Apparently it says it has found two SCSI drives in Device Manager.
Is the LiteOn SCSI or IDE?

leadshot

FPCH New Member
dvd writer

hi thanks again for reply.if i click on a folder and right click it a go to copy to dvd it finds both writers,and both are ide. but if i click on there respective drive letters it now says insert disc into drive but when you do and go back to the drive it now says the drive is now not accessible:mad: if i make a new folder and place files into it i can burn a full data dvd,using both drives.
regards leadshot

W

Wolfeymole

Ok Leadshot let's just slow this down as your confusing the hell out of me mate.

Take the side off the case off and tell me exactly what you see in terms of all attached drives whether hard drives or optical.

You mentioned SCSI drives showing in Device Manager and I need to know if they are physically there, what they are and how they are configured.

Can you tell the difference between a SCSI drive and an IDE drive?

It stands to reason that were you to burn something that the drive would not be accessible during the burning process.

Please elaborate further and be as clear and concise as possible please.