• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.
  • Welcome to Free PC Help, a free PC Help forum to get help with your computer problems.

Free PC Help is a community that offers free computer help and support for all users, all ages, worldwide.

In order to start asking questions or contribute on someone else's post you will first need to register. Don't worry - it's quick and easy and once you have registered you will have instant access to the entire forum.

If you do decide to join the forums you will not have the option to send Private Messages [ PMs ] or add a Signature until you have made 5 posts or more. This is an attempt to try to stop Spammers using the PM system or adding links to their Signature.

new motherboard

badass2929

FPCH Member
Pc help needed if possible, i bought a new asus p5v-vm se dh motherboard for my p4 3gig some pins were bent on the board so it was returned and repaired

I set it up on the worktop as the back plate comes out,to check whether it would work ok before fitting in the case

Using 1g stick of ram the pc boots up for about 30seconds,shows the m/b installed ,asks to press delete to enter settings ,then switches off,obviously something is not right,tried with the back plate touching the case and without same prob

Any help with this would be appreciated

W

Wolfeymole

What exactly are you trying to use the test bench scenario mobo for BA?

Scrub that, how big is the psu?

badass2929

FPCH Member
It was just to make sure it was working ok,i am able to put everything on then it just lift and slide into the case

I just had the basics on to check if it would work also tried with graphics card and sound card but still the same prob keeps switching off

xp pro,3g p4,2g ddr2 667,ati x800,xfi sound

Reason for new board, bios keeps crashing on old asus 1

missed your last bit 400watt

W

Wolfeymole

It may well be that when the board was damaged in the beginning the bios chip was affected too.
The psu will handle it ok.

badass2929

FPCH Member
I bought the new board from eclipse in coventry and returned it the next day they took nearly 4 weeks to return as i told them i was contacting trading standards

According to them, about 9 pins were mis alligned, not bent as we thought, their words

Thanks, i will try again tomorrow, had enough now will post if i have any luck good or bad

badass2929

FPCH Member
I tried for a replacement but they say as the board was used they cant determine who caused the damage to the pins and is very unlikely to have been sent damaged to me and they have warranty void the board but repaired as a goodwill gesture

I contacted consumer direct (trading standards) about this so i will get them to deal with it on wed thanks again

W

Wolfeymole

Ok I wish you best of luck but it seems illogical that you would have caused the damage.

I'd deal with another firm in the future.

badass2929

FPCH Member
No luck seth,tried 3 1g sticks in both slots, one of which i've never used same as before,on about 10/15 secs, then switches off

I've only got the basics plugged in power and memory and p4,same result,checked all connections, wired properly

Seth

FPCH Long Term Member
Operating System
Windows Vista - Home Premium
Well it now comes down to either the psu, the cpu, or the board itself.

Is the heat sink hot?

Clear the cmos, and flash it if all else fails.