• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.
  • Welcome to Free PC Help, a free PC Help forum to get help with your computer problems.

Free PC Help is a community that offers free computer help and support for all users, all ages, worldwide.

In order to start asking questions or contribute on someone else's post you will first need to register. Don't worry - it's quick and easy and once you have registered you will have instant access to the entire forum.

If you do decide to join the forums you will not have the option to send Private Messages [ PMs ] or add a Signature until you have made 5 posts or more. This is an attempt to try to stop Spammers using the PM system or adding links to their Signature.

New PC - how do i plug my monitor in? Do I need to buy a new one??

Chiffy

FPCH New Member
Hi
I just bought a lovely new PC, delivered yesterday :
4GB DDR2 PC-6400 800 MHZ (4 x 1 GB 800)
HIPER POWER 580W LOW NOISE/SLI READY
MS WINDOWS VISTA HOME PREMIUM 64-BIT
ASUS SKT-775 P5K S/L 1333FSB
INTEL CORE 2 QUAD Q6600 1066FSB SKT775
Coolermaster Centurion 5 case
Sapphire ATI HD3850 256MB PCI-E 2.0

I've got a 19" flat LCD monitor, with a RGB/VGA/d-Sub (?) connection (multi-pin plug with screws) on my old PC, and thought I could just plug this relatively new monitor into my new PC. But the new PC hasn't got any ports that I can see. It's custom-built and the company is now shut for Christmas, so I ain't got anybody to ask. I can nip down to PC World and get a new monitor today, if that's what I need, but can somebody tell me what I need to ask for? I've tried googling monitors but in the specs they don't really mention connections. And walking into PC World expecting some proper advice is really asking for trouble....

Thanks
Chiffy

RandyL

Administrator
PC Experience
Very Experienced
Hi Chiffy;
welcome to the forums.

Pardon me for asking but is this a desktop and not a laptop? Are you saying it doesn't have the usual vga Port?

RandyL