• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.
  • Welcome to Free PC Help, a free PC Help forum to get help with your computer problems.

Free PC Help is a community that offers free computer help and support for all users, all ages, worldwide.

In order to start asking questions or contribute on someone else's post you will first need to register. Don't worry - it's quick and easy and once you have registered you will have instant access to the entire forum.

If you do decide to join the forums you will not have the option to send Private Messages [ PMs ] or add a Signature until you have made 5 posts or more. This is an attempt to try to stop Spammers using the PM system or adding links to their Signature.

New PSU

ajackson269

Free PC Help Contributor
PC Experience
Operating System
Hi folks i've changed my psu from a 250 watt to a 600 watt which i was hoping would help the performance of my pc and to give my gaphics card enough power but i havent really noticed any difference do i have to change any settings in bios if so how would i go about this thanks ...

Seth

FPCH Long Term Member
Operating System
Windows Vista - Home Premium
FYI- PSU's wattage is overrated. Just like most Internet security software and all else in the computer industry.

A full running PC with a high end graphics takes less than 200 watts at the highest extreme.

What's the problem?

ajackson269

Free PC Help Contributor
PC Experience
Operating System
well i upgaded the graphics card i while ago and didnt notice it had a minimum wattage requirement of 350watts as i only had a 250 watt psu i thought it wouldnt run properly and after looking through the nvidia web site i found that if a card was'nt getting the correct power it would then run at a lower clock speed to prevent the pc from crashing. The reason i changed the psu was to power the graphics card properly and in turn get better perfomance from the card while playing games as my frames per second in some games i play i felt a bit poor compared to my friends pc's........

PC Experience
Elite PC Guru
Operating System
If you have a load of fans and HDD's you need to take it all into consideration when buying a PSU - 600 WATT is by far the most you would ever need unless you have 2 VERY high end cards.
My 2900XT for example draws 300 watt at full load.
A 7900GS would never draw above 200 even at full load regardless what nvidea say -
Even the older 7900GTX (used to have one, were not as hungry as what you have listed for the GS)
So if you have a mid range CPU, GPU, RAM a few HDD's and a few DVD-RW you are looking 400 watt max.
Higher end - Quad core, GTX or XT model GPU 3+ HDD 2+ DVD-RW you are then getting into the 500-600 range.

ajackson269

Free PC Help Contributor
PC Experience
Operating System
cool well im thinking of changing my 7900gs card to a nvidia 8600 gt with 1 gb mem do you think i would notice much diference

ajackson269

Free PC Help Contributor
PC Experience
Operating System
hi again i havent bought a card yet i was wondering if you could advise me on which one to buy. I was thinking of a 8600 gt but there are a few different kinds and i dont want to get it wrong .....

Dalo Harkin

FPCH Member
PC Experience
Elite PC Guru
Operating System
If you can afford the 8800GT then just get the reference Nvidia one think it's £120 ish and is an extremely good card - dont get one thats been pre overclocked as you pay a premium for it and wont notice the difference :D

ajackson269

Free PC Help Contributor
PC Experience
Operating System
i have had a look at the 8800gt and its affordable but i dont want to buy one if my pc wont run properly because of it says its has pci express 2.0 and im not sure if my board will support it here are my pc details:: MSI MS - 7301 Motherboard
2.80 Pentium D Processor & Zalman fan
2 GB 667 RAM
3D INNO Geforce 7900 gs Video Card
600 Watt ATX PSU
thats about it i think ..

PC Experience
Elite PC Guru
Operating System
If you have the latest BIOS there should be no reason as to why it wont work in PCIE 1.1 mode - it just means that it wont run as fast as it should (you wouldnt notice the differerence anyway)
I think that the PCIE 2.0 just means that if you run 2 cards they both run at PCIE 16 speed rather than one at 16 and one at 8 as older boards do - check the Nvidea website and just double check that its backward compatible - I would be astonished if it wasn't :eek: