• Welcome to Free PC Help, a free PC Help forum to get help with your computer problems.

Free PC Help is a community that offers free computer help and support for all users, all ages, worldwide.

In order to start asking questions or contribute on someone else's post you will first need to register. Don't worry - it's quick and easy and once you have registered you will have instant access to the entire forum.

If you do decide to join the forums you will not have the option to send Private Messages [ PMs ] or add a Signature until you have made 5 posts or more. This is an attempt to try to stop Spammers using the PM system or adding links to their Signature.

No hard disk found, xp install on laptop.

I had to remove vista from 3 laptops and install xp. No problem I thought. Booted from xp disk and the installer said no hard disk found.

Turns out the xp disk has no drivers for the sata controller this laptop (gateway) uses, and gateway support was no help.

Ever notice the 'press f6 to load a 3rd party driver' bit ? It lets you load a driver from floppy for any strange boot devices you want to install onto.

A quick visit to intel.com, pop the drivers on to a floppy, press f6 and off we go.

This will be old news for those of us who have built scsi servers, but its the first time I have had to do this on a laptop !

Dave