• Welcome to Free PC Help, a free PC Help forum to get help with your computer problems.

Free PC Help is a community that offers free computer help and support for all users, all ages, worldwide.

In order to start asking questions or contribute on someone else's post you will first need to register. Don't worry - it's quick and easy and once you have registered you will have instant access to the entire forum.

If you do decide to join the forums you will not have the option to send Private Messages [ PMs ] or add a Signature until you have made 5 posts or more. This is an attempt to try to stop Spammers using the PM system or adding links to their Signature.

no output from my new graphics card

MALKY777

FPCH New Member
my system is only 2 months old it came with a intergrated graphics card with shared memory so i bought a new card nvidia8500gt with 512 mem
so i switch off the the intergrated card reboot the computer it runs but no output to the monitor the only way i can get it to work is to remove the battery from the cmos then put it back the card will then work untill i switch off the computer then i will need to do it again any thoughts please

Jamey

FPCH Member
You need to change a setting in your BIOS to output via the AGP or PCI Express slot rather than by using the integrated graphics. When you computer is first turned on, look for information on screen about the key needed to enter the BIOS (usually F2, Del or F1). Once you're in, search around for a setting for graphics output. Once found, exit and save changes. Then do not remove your CMOS battery otherwise this setting will be lost.

Do NOT disable the card in device manager, Jamey is right: you need to change a setting in the bios or you have a faulty board/vga card.

Most boards will disable the onboard vga if you plug a card in no matter how you set the bios.

Dave