• Welcome to Free PC Help, a free PC Help forum to get help with your computer problems.

Free PC Help is a community that offers free computer help and support for all users, all ages, worldwide.

In order to start asking questions or contribute on someone else's post you will first need to register. Don't worry - it's quick and easy and once you have registered you will have instant access to the entire forum.

If you do decide to join the forums you will not have the option to send Private Messages [ PMs ] or add a Signature until you have made 5 posts or more. This is an attempt to try to stop Spammers using the PM system or adding links to their Signature.

“No root file system is defined” for Ubuntu AND “No hard-drive found” for Win XP

mgb41238

FPCH New Member
PC Experience
Some Experience
I had a test installation of Ubuntu 14.04 on the same hard-drive as Win XP. __ Win XP had too many programs. So, I deleted all the partitions - including MBR. Now the hard-drive had nothing on it. I have a couple of rescue programs running on LessLinux and Ubuntu started from a USB flash drive. I managed to create NTFS and ext2 partitions on the hard-drive, thinking this would cater for each OS. As generally advised, I then started the XP installation from a CD. But I had an error message stating that
no hard-drive could be found
. As a test, I attempted an Ubuntu installation, which resulted in the messages:

1. "No root file system is defined."
  2. "Correct from partitioning menu."
What is expected to be done in the partitioning menu? Supposedly, I need to get MBR and Grub2 on to the hard-drive. But how? I looked at the terminal command, but found nothing to comprehend there. What have I missed? Complete frustration!
I have a Seagate 120 GB hard-drive in a HP Notebook with ample USB slots and an optical disk-drive.

KenB

Administrator
Hi,

If you are sure that the MBR has been deleted you could take a look here - click here
EaseUs is a well known provider of free software.

Click on "Partition Table Doctor"

Top Bottom