• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.
  • Welcome to Free PC Help, a free PC Help forum to get help with your computer problems.

Free PC Help is a community that offers free computer help and support for all users, all ages, worldwide.

In order to start asking questions or contribute on someone else's post you will first need to register. Don't worry - it's quick and easy and once you have registered you will have instant access to the entire forum.

If you do decide to join the forums you will not have the option to send Private Messages [ PMs ] or add a Signature until you have made 5 posts or more. This is an attempt to try to stop Spammers using the PM system or adding links to their Signature.

no sound since virus found

pingu

FPCH New Member
Hi,

Ive just recovered from a major outbreak of viruses/ adware and since then ive got no sound from my pc, when I go into sounds and audio devices it shows "no audio device" . when I go into installed hardware it says under audio playback -modem#0 line playback.Ive reached the limit of my capabilities, and getting frustrated.

Any suggestions.

Pingu

Jamey

FPCH Member
Your sound driver has been wiped out. You need to go into the Device Manager and reinstall the driver for it. To get to the Device Manager, click Start, then Run and type "devmgmt.msc" (no quotes). Hit OK and the Device Manager should appear. Your sound card will probably appear with a yellow exclamation mark next to it. Right-click it and select 'update driver'.

You will then need the driver files for your sound card. They might be on a disc supplied with your computer or you may have to download them off the Web. If you need further help doing so, post back the model of your sound card here.

pingu

FPCH New Member
Hi,
I tried that, but could not locate any drivers - unfortunately device manager comes up with unknown manufacturer and unknown device type. - doesnt leave much to go on. Am I better off buying a new sound card and getting it installed? or is there another way of finding out what sound card I have. The computer was purchased from a friend who builds them, but he cant find the drivers either. Under details in device manager I do get the following:
PCI\VEN_1106&DEV_3059&SUBSYS_140117F2&REV_50\3&61AAA01&0&^8D.

wheather that means anything significant, I don't know.

D19824

FPCH Member
if it is a motherboard drive go to the motherboards manufacturer and look for the audio codecs for tha specific model. have same problem with mine when i format. but i just use the model number from the motherboard