• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.
  • Welcome to Free PC Help, a free PC Help forum to get help with your computer problems.

Free PC Help is a community that offers free computer help and support for all users, all ages, worldwide.

In order to start asking questions or contribute on someone else's post you will first need to register. Don't worry - it's quick and easy and once you have registered you will have instant access to the entire forum.

If you do decide to join the forums you will not have the option to send Private Messages [ PMs ] or add a Signature until you have made 5 posts or more. This is an attempt to try to stop Spammers using the PM system or adding links to their Signature.

Noisy processor or Disk drive

kathi

Free PC Help Contributor
PC Experience
Beginner
Hi,

I have just bought a second hand (18 month old) Packard Bell desk top pc with Intel core 2 Duo and Vista home installed.

The processor or disk dive seems to spend a lot of time making a chuntering or whirring noise and I wondered if there was anything I could do to reduce the noise?

Any ideas?

Many thanks

Kathi

Jelly Bean

FPCH Distinguished Member
Hello Kathi and welcome back.

The first thing to do would to take off the side panel and listen to were the sound is coming from to determin if it is the CPU or the hard drvie or something else.

Plastic Nev

Deceased - sadly missed
If it is a mechanical sound such as scraping, whirring rumbling or thumping, and is not coming from one of the fans, it has to be the hard drive unless a disk is in one of the disk drives.
If it is the hard drive, don't use it to store any data, files or folders. It may well be about to go to hard drive heaven.
The most you should hear is a gentle whirring note as the hard drive spins up, any more than that I would be thinking about replacement.
if on the other hand it is one of the fans, shut down the machine and breath a sigh of relief, as fitting a new fan is a lot better and easier than having to mess about reloading the operating system on a new hard drive.
Nev.