• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.
  • Welcome to Free PC Help, a free PC Help forum to get help with your computer problems.

Free PC Help is a community that offers free computer help and support for all users, all ages, worldwide.

In order to start asking questions or contribute on someone else's post you will first need to register. Don't worry - it's quick and easy and once you have registered you will have instant access to the entire forum.

If you do decide to join the forums you will not have the option to send Private Messages [ PMs ] or add a Signature until you have made 5 posts or more. This is an attempt to try to stop Spammers using the PM system or adding links to their Signature.

Not Booting

hammerjeff

FPCH New Member
PC Experience
Some Experience
Operating System
Windows XP - Home Edition
Hi all.
I switch on desktop and fans start to spin and continue to do so, but does not boot. No beeps and monitor goes into power saving mode. I can leave for ages with fan spinning but nothing else happens. Where do I start????:(

Plastic Nev

Deceased - sadly missed
Hi Hammerjeff, welcome to Free PC Help.
Turn it off at the mains, then remove the side cover, and make sure you keep one hand on the main case to minimise static.

Everything that plugs into something else, meaning cables plugged onto the motherboard from the power supply, cables going to the hard drive, CD and DVD drive etc, one at a time remove it, then plug it back in, this also goes for the RAM sticks on the motherboard.

Doing so makes sure of a good connection. Once done, replace the lid and try again.

Let us know how you get on.
Nev.

hammerjeff

FPCH New Member
PC Experience
Some Experience
Operating System
Windows XP - Home Edition
Have unplugged everything and put back together. Fans start but thats it. No other signs of life. Could it be PSU, CPU or motherboard??

Plastic Nev

Deceased - sadly missed
Hi again, I am afraid it is more than likely now that it is the PSU. Please bear in mind that when a PSU fails, in some cases it can damage the motherboard as well, but the only way to check now is with another PSU first.

Any chance you can borrow one of exactly the same type?

Also can you let us know the make of your machine and what model, we may be able to help in finding one at a reasonable price for you, if we know the details.
Nev.