• Welcome to Free PC Help, a free PC Help forum to get help with your computer problems.

Free PC Help is a community that offers free computer help and support for all users, all ages, worldwide.

In order to start asking questions or contribute on someone else's post you will first need to register. Don't worry - it's quick and easy and once you have registered you will have instant access to the entire forum.

If you do decide to join the forums you will not have the option to send Private Messages [ PMs ] or add a Signature until you have made 5 posts or more. This is an attempt to try to stop Spammers using the PM system or adding links to their Signature.

One USB port, One mouse not working

shrimply

FPCH Long Term Member
PC Experience
Beginner
OK a bit of a bizarre problem, that I can't figure out. I have one USB port ( the one I want my mouse plugged into) that my wireless laser mouse will not work with.

The mouse works with all the other ports on the laptop and every other device I have works in the USB port, including a few other mice.

I can't really see how there can be a solution or an explanation but hoping that maybe someone can help me out.

Thanks.

RandyL

Administrator
PC Experience
Very Experienced
Hi shrimply. How are you?

I'll take a guess that particular port is not a powered usb port. If the other devices that work on it have their own power supply then that might be the reason.

shrimply

FPCH Long Term Member
PC Experience
Beginner
Thanks, to be honest I have very little understanding of USB ports.The ports are built in to the laptop, each port apparently is provided with 500mA and the mouse requires 100mA which the laptop is providing when it is plugged into the port, the mouse will charge on its cradle just won't actually work.

It has worked previously in this USB port its just over the last couple of weeks it won't.

RandyL

Administrator
PC Experience
Very Experienced
Well that's not the issue then. It seems you have power and it worked before.

Try the old stand by fix. It might or might not work but it won't hurt.

Remove the usb host controller from device manager and reboot. If that doesn't work remove the usb root hub controller and reboot. Sometimes one or the other will fix some problems.

shrimply

FPCH Long Term Member
PC Experience
Beginner
Thank you very much, that's got it working.

Still was being difficult but at least the device manager was picking it up as an unidentified device and I was able to install a mouse driver for it.

cheers again, fantastic advice as always

RandyL

Administrator
PC Experience
Very Experienced
Great shrimply;

Just to clarify was it a mouse driver or the usb controllers? Either way the device manager is a good place to look first.

Stick around. We'll learn together.

RandyL

shrimply

FPCH Long Term Member
PC Experience
Beginner
HI, I'm not too sure,lol. When there was a problem, the device manager wasn't recognising it as a device at all, although it was showing up as a device using power in the USB controllers.

I then unistalled the host controllers, and when I restarted the computer and plugged in the mouse, vista wasn't able to install the drivers, but when I went into the device manager it was there as an unrecognised device and I updated the software to a HID-compliant mouse, and that got it working.

RandyL

Administrator
PC Experience
Very Experienced
It sounds like it was the contollers but who knows. But you did figure it out. Strange that Vista didn't pick it up when you plugged it in. I have a guess or two on that too but I'll leave speculation for another day.

For future reference include your version of Windows in a post. The terminology and methods may vary.

Thanks for the feedback shrimply. Hope to see you often but I don't hope to see you having problems.

RandyL