• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.
  • Welcome to Free PC Help, a free PC Help forum to get help with your computer problems.

Free PC Help is a community that offers free computer help and support for all users, all ages, worldwide.

In order to start asking questions or contribute on someone else's post you will first need to register. Don't worry - it's quick and easy and once you have registered you will have instant access to the entire forum.

If you do decide to join the forums you will not have the option to send Private Messages [ PMs ] or add a Signature until you have made 5 posts or more. This is an attempt to try to stop Spammers using the PM system or adding links to their Signature.

Page cannot be displayed after about 10 mins of browsing

hi! this is my first post on here. i'm having a problem with my internet browsing. I am currently using windows xp and i beleived i am using the new version of IE.
my computer was fine until it was formatted. so i'm ***uming its just some setting that needs changing.
I am connected to my wireless network and can access all web pages but then after around 10 minutes i can no longer access any pages until i disconnect and recconnect to the internet.
the funny thing is, even tho i can't see any webpages after 10 mins i stay connected to msn messenger and can still have conversations all night if i like but cant view pages.
it's really annoying me because when i'd reading journals online for my uni work i have to disconnect and reconnect again before i can view the next 1 as it takes me 10 mins to read each 1.
anyways someone please help me!!! im going insain!!!!

W

Wolfeymole

Hello wilsongemma

Welcome to Free PC Help

There is a mine of information here

Personally I loath IE and use Firefox as I feel it is a better browser.
However please consult that link and get back to us if it is not beneficial.

hi! thanks for the reply but the post was just on resetting my IE settings. i havent edited my settings from when my computer was formatted so im ***uming that resetting the settings wont do anything.
do you have any other ideas?
thanks

ok it hasnt worked, whats even more strange now is that i can refresh pages and they work fine and i can talk on msn still, but i can't open new pages!
so it's kinda the same problem, although before i couldnt refresh pages as nothing would load after about 10 mins.
i disconnected and reconnected and now the internet is working fine again!
but i'm sure in 10 mins i will have same problem!
any more ideas on what i can do?

W

Wolfeymole

This sounds like some kind of drop out on your wireless connection.
Have you tried hard wiring it as a temp measure and seeing what happens?

the wireless connection is excellent, i am talking on msn and i'm playing my music from my wireless harddrive. so if there was a loss in the connection it would make my music jump.

i am still talking on msn and that is still working fine and i am still running my music wirelessly, so the wireless connection is holding. but i still cant access new webpages, i am accessing this by refreshing the page.

Seth

FPCH Long Term Member
Operating System
Windows Vista - Home Premium
Here are some other options:

1) Clear out the temps by using ATF Cleaner. Uncheck cookies and recycle bin before letting the program do the cleanup:

http://www.atribune.org/content/view/25/2/

2) See if the problem occurs with Firefox.

3) See if the problem occurs in Safe Mode With Networking. Keep tapping F8 as soon as you start the computer to access that mode.

BTW-What type of internet security are you using?

hi i have NOD anti virus.
i dont think that its that that is the problem as if it was it wouldnt load pages in the first place.
its as though the internet explorer is timing out, but its at different time all the time sometimes i have to repair the connection after 5 mins sometimes after 30 mins.

i ran the scan and tried connecting the router directly to the computer, and no change. its still the same although, i know it might sound wierd, but it seems to be only when im talking on msn that it stops me from accessing pages for a while.
i tried earlier accessing a few pages over about an hour and had no problems, but then i signed into msn and started chatting and 10 mins later i can't access pages.

W

Wolfeymole

Ok we still need to know if you have tried what has been recommended so far.
We are finding it hard to detect whether you have done what has been said so far.
We are trying to help Gemma and would ask that you reply with specific answers as to whether you have done so or not, ie run in Safe Mode and tried Firefox.

ok, ive tried firefox and running it in safemode plus networking and still had the problem. tried the firefox first, then i tried i in safe mode using both firefox and IE.

hi just wondered if either of u had any more thought on what my problem could be, i have tried everything suggested and none has worked, is there something else i could try?
thanks for the help

Seth

FPCH Long Term Member
Operating System
Windows Vista - Home Premium
wilsongemma said:
i ran the scan and tried connecting the router directly to the computer, and no change. its still the same although, i know it might sound wierd, but it seems to be only when im talking on msn that it stops me from accessing pages for a while.
i tried earlier accessing a few pages over about an hour and had no problems, but then i signed into msn and started chatting and 10 mins later i can't access pages.
Given the information you've provided, there is no rhyme or reason why you're experiencing such problems other than the above clue.

I recommend you uninstall all versions of MSN Messenger, then reinstall the latest version. If that doesn't fix the problem...

As much as I recommend NOD32, no one scanner can catch all forms of malware. Download the free version of SuperAntiSpyware from www.superantispyware.com. Make sure you update it, then run a complete scan.

If the above options don't correct the issue, then please download and run HijackThis from here: http://filehippo.com/download_hijackthis/

Run the program and click Scan Only. Please copy and paste that log into this thread, as well as the Super log. Super's log is found in Preferences>Logs.