• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.
  • Welcome to Free PC Help, a free PC Help forum to get help with your computer problems.

Free PC Help is a community that offers free computer help and support for all users, all ages, worldwide.

In order to start asking questions or contribute on someone else's post you will first need to register. Don't worry - it's quick and easy and once you have registered you will have instant access to the entire forum.

If you do decide to join the forums you will not have the option to send Private Messages [ PMs ] or add a Signature until you have made 5 posts or more. This is an attempt to try to stop Spammers using the PM system or adding links to their Signature.

Painful internet problems

Rich87

FPCH New Member
Hi there, I'm new to these forums so firstly thanks for reading my post!

I'm having 2 irritating problems at the moment I really could do with some help with, I'm not sure if they are connect but they're doing my nut :

1) Sometimes I can't access the web. By this I mean that when I have an internet connection over my WLAN I can use programs like MSN, Ventrillo (3.0), and various computer games such as World of Warcraft which are connected to the internet but when I open a webpage using either Internet Explorer or Firefox it claims it can't find a server and won't load anything! This seems to occur randomly and comes and goes randomly, systematically shutting down every possible program on my processes list doesn't help.

2) Under my list of network connections I have a "Local Area Connection 3: Network Cable Unplugged" listed as using an NVIDIA nForce Networking Controller. If I try to disable this connection, repair it or uninstall the driver my PC auto restarts (Basically touching it in anyway kills my computer). I'm really not sure what's going on there, currently I'm trying to install a new driver for it but there are no details on what model it is.

For background info, I took my PC to a repair shop a week or so ago due to my harddrive starting to fail, they stuck a new one in, reinstalled windows (XP) and all my drivers. I'm guessing they screwed up somewhere? Anyway, thanks in advance, all help welcome.

Rich

W

Wolfeymole

Hi Rich

Welcome to Free PC Help

I'll bet your trying to play WOW at the same time as trying to access a web page yes?

I have found that some people when using Peer to Peer software like Torrents, online gaming etc seem to kind of hug massive amounts of bandwidth so to speak and this is what stops pages loading.
I'm not sure how or why this happens but people have said that if they pause the torrent, for example, then the pages will load.
Not an answer as such I know but if I can obtain a better answer I'll get back to you.

Rich87

FPCH New Member
"I'll bet your trying to play WOW at the same time as trying to access a web page yes?"

Yup, pretty much! Thanks for the reply, any further information would be much appreciated. =)

Are you using a router or modem ? If you are using a modem, bin it and get a router. I know they are expensive and 'fun' to setup,but you will find the results worth it.

Dave