• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.
  • Welcome to Free PC Help, a free PC Help forum to get help with your computer problems.

Free PC Help is a community that offers free computer help and support for all users, all ages, worldwide.

In order to start asking questions or contribute on someone else's post you will first need to register. Don't worry - it's quick and easy and once you have registered you will have instant access to the entire forum.

If you do decide to join the forums you will not have the option to send Private Messages [ PMs ] or add a Signature until you have made 5 posts or more. This is an attempt to try to stop Spammers using the PM system or adding links to their Signature.

Password Protecting in XP Media Centre-Works 8

I have XP Media Centre installed with Microsoft Works 8.
The package appears quite basic and I would like to encrypt or password protect some of my Word documents.
There does not appear to be an option to do this and I am wondering if I will have to upgrade to a better software package in order to do this?

Seth

FPCH Long Term Member
Operating System
Windows Vista - Home Premium
When you go to save the file, click on "Tools" in the same Window and you should get some security options.

Thank you for your reply but I don't have any security options in Tools. Works 8 was pre installed on my computer which is why I don't think it is very good. My husband has Office Professional in his office but unfortunately I can't install it on my computer, not legally that is.
I can't justify the cost of paying for Office Professional for home use but I have tried to find out if the Office Home & Student 2007 has the facility to password protect but I can't find anyone that can tell me including the Microsoft Office website.

W

Wolfeymole

If you give me 30 minutes to install MS Works Lady I'll let you know if it can be done.

In a lot of way Works is actually superior to Office.

W

Wolfeymole

Unfortunately it can't be done Lady.

Would you be using just Word or all of the Works/Office type aspects?