• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.
  • Welcome to Free PC Help, a free PC Help forum to get help with your computer problems.

Free PC Help is a community that offers free computer help and support for all users, all ages, worldwide.

In order to start asking questions or contribute on someone else's post you will first need to register. Don't worry - it's quick and easy and once you have registered you will have instant access to the entire forum.

If you do decide to join the forums you will not have the option to send Private Messages [ PMs ] or add a Signature until you have made 5 posts or more. This is an attempt to try to stop Spammers using the PM system or adding links to their Signature.

pc continually rebooting - help!

yakker

FPCH New Member
Hi all

I have a problem with my other pc. It is continually rebooting itself. Even with safe mode (it only goes down about 12 lines then reboots itself).
This has happened in the past and I got round the problem by inserting the xp operating disk, on reboot it goes through its windows setup then asks for either 1. set up windows XP, 2. repair windows XP press R or 3. quit setup.

I am pretty sure that last time this happend I have pressed R and somehow got a command line to do a diskchk, this seemed to fix the problem.

When I press R now it tries to examine the hard drive? just stops and hangs.

How can I get to a command prompt to do a diskchk?

Thanks in advance.

Chaz

danzil

FPCH Member
PC Experience
Operating System
by just doing a continoues boot record repair you may of allowed your hard disk to deteriorate, you may want to considering getting a new hard drive
reinstall your O/S on the new hard drive, then slave your old hard drive to the new and see if you can obtain your data,,,all programmes will need to be re-installed to run on your new O/S install.
have you tried a repair install instead of booting to recovery console maybe will fix your system...
i would then do a disk check using the manufacturers disk checking tools.
regards
danzil