• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.
  • Welcome to Free PC Help, a free PC Help forum to get help with your computer problems.

Free PC Help is a community that offers free computer help and support for all users, all ages, worldwide.

In order to start asking questions or contribute on someone else's post you will first need to register. Don't worry - it's quick and easy and once you have registered you will have instant access to the entire forum.

If you do decide to join the forums you will not have the option to send Private Messages [ PMs ] or add a Signature until you have made 5 posts or more. This is an attempt to try to stop Spammers using the PM system or adding links to their Signature.

PC does not recognise external hard drives

gregmiller

FPCH New Member
HELP. My external 160GB USB hard drive is not being recognised. I unplugged it from the PC to copy info to my laptop, when I re-connected it, it no longer shows under My Computer. If I go into Sytem, devices, it is shown as "this device is working properly!!"

I'm using a Dell Dimension DM051, Pentium 4 3Ghz, with IGb Ram.

Do I have to follow a certain procedure to re-connect?

gregmiller

FPCH New Member
Hi Dave,

No, it comes into life, laptop and PC state "found new hardware" and then "installed ready to use". It shows in system devices under disk drives as "WDC WD20 00JB-00GVA0 - USB device" and in USB Controllers as "USB Mass Storage Device". When expanding these, they both state that device is working properly. Using the troubleshoot does not help. However, when going into Device properties, it does not show anything on nthe Volume page, just blank. When I click on "populate" it then shows the following:

Disk - Disk 5
Type- Unknown
Status - Unreadable
Partition Type - Not applicable
Capacity - 0 mb
Unallocated - 0 mb
Reserved space - 0 mb

Any ideas??

Sounds like the partition table is gone, did you have anything important on the drive ?

If not just go into disk managment and create a partition.

Dave

lap1ngtong

FPCH New Member
Hello guys! I am having a similar problem with an external HD (Maxtor 3200 500gb) but when I connect it and try to access it, it tells me the drive needs formatting!! which I dont want to do as there is stuff I require on there!!

is there any hope?

also, I have a S-ATA drive connected, which I cannot access..it tells me it is healthy etc on pc boot up, it is in the device manager telling me it is working properly!!

any clues??

Cheers in advance!

W

Wolfeymole

Greg

Did you format this drive when you got it?

From this;
Disk - Disk 5
Type- Unknown
Status - Unreadable
Partition Type - Not applicable
Capacity - 0 mb
Unallocated - 0 mb
Reserved space - 0 mb

It appears, as Dave said, to contain no partition/s

A physical USB hard disk drive is not the same as some kind of 2GB memory stick.

Lap1ong
You have hijacked this thread and really should make a new post with regard to your problem, otherwise posted answers can become muddled.