• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.
  • Welcome to Free PC Help, a free PC Help forum to get help with your computer problems.

Free PC Help is a community that offers free computer help and support for all users, all ages, worldwide.

In order to start asking questions or contribute on someone else's post you will first need to register. Don't worry - it's quick and easy and once you have registered you will have instant access to the entire forum.

If you do decide to join the forums you will not have the option to send Private Messages [ PMs ] or add a Signature until you have made 5 posts or more. This is an attempt to try to stop Spammers using the PM system or adding links to their Signature.

PC freezes after usb use

londonles

FPCH Member
PC Experience
Very Experienced
Operating System
Windows Vista - Home Premium
I have a Acer Power F6 running xp pro every time i plug my Nikon camera in to the front usb port and then remove it My PC either freezes or the usb port will not work again and i have to restart it

Any Ideas

Thanks

Les

RandyL

Administrator
PC Experience
Very Experienced
Hi londonles;
Actually I don't think that is uncommon. When unplugging external USB devices you should turn off your computer first.

When I used to use an external CD burner via USB on Windows ME the software installed an option to unplug without shutting down first. With Vista and HP the option is built in for all external devices.

Even if I use a card plugin such as a compact flash on my new computer I need to use the safe method of unplugging it or my optional drives will fail to read right.

The point is any and all peripheral devices should only be removed when the computer is off to advoid any instability or corruption. Unless appropriate software is also installed.

RandyL

maynardvdm

FPCH Long Term Member
You have to stop the usb device before unplugging it, all usb device i use i never need to switch off the pc, i just have to use the safely remove hardware icon at the bottom right. Well it is only really the ipod i use on usb. sometimes windows just need to stop the device first.