• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.
  • Welcome to Free PC Help, a free PC Help forum to get help with your computer problems.

Free PC Help is a community that offers free computer help and support for all users, all ages, worldwide.

In order to start asking questions or contribute on someone else's post you will first need to register. Don't worry - it's quick and easy and once you have registered you will have instant access to the entire forum.

If you do decide to join the forums you will not have the option to send Private Messages [ PMs ] or add a Signature until you have made 5 posts or more. This is an attempt to try to stop Spammers using the PM system or adding links to their Signature.

Pc keeps restarting.

Penabby

FPCH Member
Hello all, this is my first post.

Im not very technical minded so please be gentle with pc talk ;)

My pc keeps restarting, theres no time frame to this, its completely random, sometimes it restarts 3 times in a row and other times I can stay on my pc for hours.

My pc is about 2 years old and at about 6 months I had to reformat because it wasnt loading up windows for some reason, the reinstalation seemed to fix it.

I originally thought from something I read on a forum somewhere that it was my power supply not being enough to power my graphics card.... my Power supply is 450 and Gforce 6500 graphics card, but not sure its that now.

Its very touchy, I put a book on the top of my tower the other day and this made it restart.

Also a couple of weeks ago when it restarted it wouldnt boot up to windows and wasnt seeing my hard drive but after fiddling with leads it started again.

I keep the side off lately and keep the fans free from dust so I dont think its overheating.

A few times after restarting it has done an automatic check disk saying my Hard drive was unstable and found a couple of files that it has fixed, I dont remember what files they were.

Im not sure where to start... could it be Graphics card or Hard drive or mother board or even my windows instalation?

My spec is:

Windows XP
Intel Pent 4, 3.2
1gb ram
Gforce 6500 pci express graphics.

I appreciate any help or advice given :)

maynardvdm

FPCH Long Term Member
Hi Penabby

Welcome to Free PC Help.

I would first check all hardware that everything is secure and seated correctly. Make sure all the cables are in properly.

Also go to Start -> Run and type chkdsk /r (space between the k and /) when prompted select Y. That will run a chkdsk the next time windows starts.

W

Wolfeymole

It sounds like your hard drive is on it's way out Penabby, I'd back your stuff up asap before it dies on you completely.

Penabby

FPCH Member
Thankyou for your replys.

Everything is secure, Im always checking, its become an obsession ;)

I will do the check disc thing.

At least if I know its the hard drive, im happy to go buy a new one and know Im not wasting me money, thanks guys :)

Penabby

FPCH Member
I did the check disc as you suggested Maynardvdm and it didnt find anything, said the volume was clean.

maynardvdm

FPCH Long Term Member
I dont think its to do with the graphics card becuase you only need a 350W or bigger for that card. I suspect a harddrive problem but not sure if it needs replacing. A re-format might work(but wait to hear what the oher mods think about this).

W

Wolfeymole

Intermittent faults like this are hard to diagnose Penabby but I would definitely make a back up of your personal stuff.

Make sure the IDE connectors are secure to both hard drive and the board.

Penabby

FPCH Member
I did check the lead from the hard drive to the motherboard and it did seem a little loose.... but after making sure it was ok, I had some graphic card problems.... while playing sims 2 my card stopped working twice.... and after a few hours with no restarting its back to doing the same shutting down and restarting.... so I guess I will start with a reformat and see how it is from there.

Seth

FPCH Long Term Member
Operating System
Windows Vista - Home Premium
This doesn't sound like a software problem, especially since mentioning that the computer is very "touchy" and you put a book on the top of the tower and that made it restart.

I would open it back up, and start gently poking around each connector/component with a piece of plastic (like a pen with the inside pulled out). By doing so, you should be able to pinpoint what bad connection is causing the restart.

W

Wolfeymole

I did check the lead from the hard drive to the motherboard and it did seem a little loose.... but after making sure it was ok, I had some graphic card problems.... while playing sims 2 my card stopped working twice.... and after a few hours with no restarting its back to doing the same shutting down and restarting.... so I guess I will start with a reformat and see how it is from there.
Shut the pc down totally.

Pull the plug out of the wall and let it sit for 30 minutes.

Open the case and earth yourself by touching a nearby metal object.
Make sure all PCI and AGP cards are solid in their sockets, make sure all IDE connectors are fully secure on both board and HDD and DVD/CD ROM drives.
Make sure all power connectors are secure especially the molex connectors to the drives.
Make sure all Memory cards are seated securely.