• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.
  • Welcome to Free PC Help, a free PC Help forum to get help with your computer problems.

Free PC Help is a community that offers free computer help and support for all users, all ages, worldwide.

In order to start asking questions or contribute on someone else's post you will first need to register. Don't worry - it's quick and easy and once you have registered you will have instant access to the entire forum.

If you do decide to join the forums you will not have the option to send Private Messages [ PMs ] or add a Signature until you have made 5 posts or more. This is an attempt to try to stop Spammers using the PM system or adding links to their Signature.

Pc needs starting a few times before it loads up!

walts

FPCH New Member
Hi all,
This is my first post on your forums, so hello to everyone:)
Can you please help with my problem? I recently upgraded my graphics card, and was told i needed to up the psu too. So i put in a 400W Icute psu. The computer then needed to be turned on & off a few times from the front button before it would proceed to load. I was then told that possibly the psu didn't have enough amps on it's 12v rail, so i upgraded to a recommended 'name'psu, a seasonic s12II 80plus 500W unit.
The problem remains the same though!
The graphics card is a XFX 7900GTX 512MB DDR3. My PC is a Packard Bell Imedia 1559. Can anyone help please.
Many thanks,
Walts.

Tony D

Free PC Help Long Term Member
PC Experience
Some Experience
Operating System
OSX
Since this start when you upgraded the Graphics card, it coud be the Graphics card itself - or it could be the power supply. Do you have another computer you can try with the Graphics card?

W

Wolfeymole

From what I've read on this it may well be that, as Kelly said, the card is sucking too much power from the psu for it to be able to cope.

Seth

FPCH Long Term Member
Operating System
Windows Vista - Home Premium
Does the card require a power connection?

I don't think it's the PSU. Try putting in the old card for now and see what happens.

walts

FPCH New Member
Thanks for the replies guy's,
The card does require a PCI-E power supply, I connected the dedicated lead from the PSU for this purpose. But in the manual for the card they say 'connect our lead' which is a PCI-E to two flat connectors 'Y' lead. Is it possible that this connection would supply more amps to the card than the dedicated PCI-E connector from the PSU???
The card states it requires a min. of a 350W PSU, I have fitted a 500W one so there shouldn't really be a problem with that. The card was quite expensive, so if I can prove it is the card that is defective I can try and get a replacement................Any other thoughts?

Thanks,
Walts :)

Last edited:

Seth

FPCH Long Term Member
Operating System
Windows Vista - Home Premium
Use their lead adapter, then try the old card if that doesn't work.