• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.
  • Welcome to Free PC Help, a free PC Help forum to get help with your computer problems.

Free PC Help is a community that offers free computer help and support for all users, all ages, worldwide.

In order to start asking questions or contribute on someone else's post you will first need to register. Don't worry - it's quick and easy and once you have registered you will have instant access to the entire forum.

If you do decide to join the forums you will not have the option to send Private Messages [ PMs ] or add a Signature until you have made 5 posts or more. This is an attempt to try to stop Spammers using the PM system or adding links to their Signature.

PC Power outage (?)

JayTee

FPCH New Member
Hello,

In the last few days my computer has been shutting itself off, like someone pulled the power cord, when I try to run high-graphical detail games. I can browse the net, watch DVD's etc. but when I run games they'll run for 10secs to a few minutes before the power goes down.

At first I felt this was my processor overheating, so I cleaned the inside of the machine, then replaced the CPU heatsink and fan. This didn't work. I also cleaned my graphics card heatsink and fan, but this hasn't worked either. The GFX temp. is reading 52 degrees celcius. The CPU is also reading around 52-55 degrees. I've tried a memory test and updated all my drivers etc. but this doesn't resolve the problem, and I'm running out of ideas. Computer Spec's as follows:

Processor: Intel P4 3.6Ghz
Memory: 2GB
Graphics: nVidia GeForce 7800GT

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Jamey

FPCH Member
First, check whether your graphics card has an extra power connector on it that you haven't connected yet. A simple thing but often overlooked. Some cards won't work at all without this connector, others will behave strangely.

Otherwise, it sounds like your power supply unit (PSU) isn't powerful enough for your system's needs. If you've got an unbranded, no-name 300W or 350W PSU, you should really upgrade to a known-brand higher unit. Personally, I'd recommend you go for this Trust 420W Dual Fan PSU, it'll cost you about £25 including delivery. I've Googled around and it has a good reputation.

JayTee

FPCH New Member
Thanks for the response.

I re-checked the graphics card and there is only 1 power cable socket on it. I made sure this was plugged in properly and that seems to be fine. My PSU is a Tagan 420W, I have had this setup for about 2 years now and I haven't any problems like this before.

Would it be worth replacing the PSU or is this sounding more like a graphics card problem?