• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.
  • Welcome to Free PC Help, a free PC Help forum to get help with your computer problems.

Free PC Help is a community that offers free computer help and support for all users, all ages, worldwide.

In order to start asking questions or contribute on someone else's post you will first need to register. Don't worry - it's quick and easy and once you have registered you will have instant access to the entire forum.

If you do decide to join the forums you will not have the option to send Private Messages [ PMs ] or add a Signature until you have made 5 posts or more. This is an attempt to try to stop Spammers using the PM system or adding links to their Signature.

PC Powers off after a few seconds

Bruce

FPCH New Member
Hi,

I have a home-built tower system using an Asrock motherboard and an AMD chip, if it matters. I'm running XP, but I doubt that matters. I had to store the PC for a few months recently and when I arrived at my new home had it delivered and pluggged it in, turned on and watched it switch itself off after a few seconds. None of the peripherals are connected to the PC.

The power supply fan comes on, the lights blink, but then after about 2 seconds it powers down. The light on the power supply switch remains on, but the PC itself is just an inert collection of metal and other bits.

I do have a spare mother board in my boxes, I think, but I don't want to potentially blow that by experimenting if there's a known way of investigating this sort of thing. Besides, changing a mother board is a pain.

Does anyone have an idea?

By the way, it should be obvious, since I built my own PC, but I'm not scared or inexperienced in these matters, but I just have no idea how to find out what's dead without lots of messing about. Also I am new in Brussels, don't speak French very well or Dutch at all and don't have a copy of the yellow pages anyway. I guess if I need an expert I will find one, but I would rather fix this myself.

Thanks in anticipation,

Bruce

Bruce

FPCH New Member
By the way I have already read about a similar problem on this forum and intend to do what was suggested there (clear the BIOS and unplug anything not strictly necessary to boot.) My power supply is about 6 months old and is a gold-plated beauty, I doubt that there's anything wrong with it.

Jamey

FPCH Member
Sorry, but how have I overlooked your problem - since this is your only post?

Have you actually done what was suggested in that other topic yet?

Bruce

FPCH New Member
Hi,

Sorry, I was just trying to get any additional ideas. I suspected that you would think I was being pushy.

Yes I have tried that. It makes no difference. I have a vague feeling that I have a cooling problem, I can't actually see the CPU cooling fan blades due to the design of the fan, but I have a feeling that the fan should actually be making some noise, even though it was sold as 'silent'. Can you tell me if it's likely that the CPU would switch off in a few seconds if the fan were dead? I would have thought it would take a bit longer to heat up, but perhaps CPUs are like lightbulbs and heat up in pretty short order.

I don't really want to remove the fan, so that I can see the blades then power up to see if they move, as that sounds like it could easily damage the CPU, and I don't have a spare fan good enough for my chip. I really need to investigate in the least intrusive way I can.

Regards,

Bruce

Jamey

FPCH Member
Take off the fan and take out the CPU. Leave the fan's power cable plugged in. Turn on the PC. It will still power the fan without the CPU present. Just determine whether the fan is actually working.

Some BIOSes don't ship with overheat protection enabled by default so the reason it's turning off might not be because it's overheating. Also, make sure there is some form of thermal paste or pad between the heatsink and CPU. You may have already fried your CPU.