• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.
  • Welcome to Free PC Help, a free PC Help forum to get help with your computer problems.

Free PC Help is a community that offers free computer help and support for all users, all ages, worldwide.

In order to start asking questions or contribute on someone else's post you will first need to register. Don't worry - it's quick and easy and once you have registered you will have instant access to the entire forum.

If you do decide to join the forums you will not have the option to send Private Messages [ PMs ] or add a Signature until you have made 5 posts or more. This is an attempt to try to stop Spammers using the PM system or adding links to their Signature.

PC powers up but dosent boot up

joselin

FPCH New Member
Hi

My PC was running for a long time the other day and when I wasn’t around it had powered down. Now when I power up I don’t get any screen display of any sort there is also a deep beeping 4 or 5 times then nothing. I've taken the side panel off and there is green led on the motherboard illuminated, I think the fan is work there is very quite fan noise and im sure I can feel air being blown out. I've tried getting it to start in safe mode but nothing is working.

I suspect overheating, where do you suggest I start replacing the fan first (is that warning sound I hear when I switch on?) or the hard drive?

Many thanks for any help

W

Wolfeymole

Hi joselin

Welcome to Free PC Help

Depending on what bios you have on the motherboard this could be either a bad board or a bad video card.

Do you know what bios you have on your board?

If not then obtain SIW from here, run it and come back to us.

http://www.gtopala.com/

joselin

FPCH New Member
thanks for help, i was able to download on my laptop the manual for my DELL 5150

and it had a trouble shooting guide which i followed and turns out the problem was with memory, i took them and put them back in and im writhing on my pc :D but is this a critical error with the memory and should i replace it ???

AdvancedSetup

FPCH Long Term Member
Probably not. Probably had minor corrosion at a microscopic level that was giving it issues. Removing and reinstalling the modules typically restores a clean connection.

Take a look in the Control Panel, Administrative Tools, and launch Event Viewer and look in there to see if anything is still giving you problems.