• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.
  • Welcome to Free PC Help, a free PC Help forum to get help with your computer problems.

Free PC Help is a community that offers free computer help and support for all users, all ages, worldwide.

In order to start asking questions or contribute on someone else's post you will first need to register. Don't worry - it's quick and easy and once you have registered you will have instant access to the entire forum.

If you do decide to join the forums you will not have the option to send Private Messages [ PMs ] or add a Signature until you have made 5 posts or more. This is an attempt to try to stop Spammers using the PM system or adding links to their Signature.

PC rebuild for a novice

chris67bug

FPCH New Member
PC Experience
PC Illiterate
Operating System
Windows Vista - Ultimate
HI everyone- first post, so hope I've put this in the right section!

I have a Dell dimension 2300, bought in 2002. It is running a little slowly and I've been told that it requires a rebuild which has never been done. I would be quite interested in learning how to do this but my knowledge is limited- novice level really.

I've ordered a couple the 'dummies' series books as a start but just wondering if anyone could direct me to other sources of information which would help me.

Thanks

chris

Tony D

Free PC Help Long Term Member
PC Experience
Some Experience
Operating System
OSX
Hi Chris and welcome,

When you mention that your computer is running slowly, is it all the time or only when you're on the Internet?

I suggest that you go to START > ALL PROGRAMS > ACCESSORIES > SYSTEM TOOLS > DISK CLEANUP and let it delete all the tempory files. Then get back to us as there are others here that can pitch in with more help.

AdvancedSetup

FPCH Long Term Member
Hi Chris,

What operating system is it currently running?
Do you have the installation CD?
Do you have the installation KEY?

If you don't have either the CD or the KEY then you won't be able to do a full rebuild/re-install.

If you have both then we can ***ist you in doing the rebuild. It can and probably will take quite a bit of time to do, but in the long run it will no doubt run faster.

What CPU do you have and how much RAM ?