• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.
  • Welcome to Free PC Help, a free PC Help forum to get help with your computer problems.

Free PC Help is a community that offers free computer help and support for all users, all ages, worldwide.

In order to start asking questions or contribute on someone else's post you will first need to register. Don't worry - it's quick and easy and once you have registered you will have instant access to the entire forum.

If you do decide to join the forums you will not have the option to send Private Messages [ PMs ] or add a Signature until you have made 5 posts or more. This is an attempt to try to stop Spammers using the PM system or adding links to their Signature.

PC restarts at the windows loading screen

i krayz i

FPCH New Member
I have microsoft xp, and wen im loading it comes up with the choice of safe run, last good known ect... and i tried all of em but wen it gets to window loading screen it restarts. it has a built in recovery so i press f10 to get on on system recovory but that just laods up then goes to a blue screen so i cant select anything...

becuase it has built in recovory it doesent have any recovery disks..

if any1 no's a way i can system restore so that im back with settings it comes with wen u buy the pc doing it manully going through setup or anything plz post.

Jamey

FPCH Member
Is the system still under warranty? If so, the manufacturer should be able to provide you with a disc or some further help. If it's out of warranty, why doesn't the system recovery routine work? By pressing the F10 key, it should launch into your computer manufacturer's recovery routine - not into the blue screen of Windows.

If you're still stuck, I think you are legally entitled to borrow a Windows CD and reinstall using that. This is because the COA sticker that is on your computer is locked to your machine, so if you reinstall using a genuine disc it is legal because you have a genuine license key.

Note: you must make sure the disc you find is the same version. So if you have Home Edition, it must be a Home Edition install CD. If you can't find anyone with a disc you can borrow, you have two options: buy a new disc and license for about £60 or switch to another operating system.

Since Windows Vista has been released, if you decicde you want to spend money on a new license you may as well purchase Windows Vista Home Basic Edition. This is in every way similar to Windows XP Home Edition, which I presume is the version you have on your machine at the moment. The only difference is that it is updated with a new look and better security features. You can purchase an OEM version for about £56 including delivery. Once you've added it to your cart, select "super saver" delivery for the cheapest option.

If you don't fancy going down that route, you can switch to another operating system. My favourite choice that I would personally vouch for and recommend is called Ubuntu. It is making waves in the desktop computing world at the moment. There are many good things about it:

It doesn't suffer from malware whatsoever - this includes viruses, spyware and so on
It is much more secure than any version of Windows; you don't need to buy any protection software
It includes thousands of useful, easy-to-use software packages that are simple to install
It is completely free! You are legally permitted to copy and distribute it (even for a charge!)
It works as well or better than Windows on the same specification machine

There are a few disadvantages, depending on your stance:

It doesn't really run Windows software. But for every Windows app, there is an equivalent one in Ubuntu
If you play games on your Windows PC, it's unlikely they'll play on Ubuntu. But, again, there is a growing list of games that work on Ubuntu
If you want technical support, over 90% of the people in the world use Windows. But there is a brilliant, vibrant Ubuntu community in chat rooms and on the Ubuntu Forums

Personally, I use Ubuntu daily and it does everything I need it to. It has Firefox for web browsing, Evolution for email (very similar to Outlook), OpenOffice.org for "office" type needs (opens and saves Microsoft Office files) and even a Photoshop-like equivalent called "The GIMP". It is absolutely brilliant.

But don't take my word for it, visit www.ubuntu.com to find out more. You can download a CD image which you burn to a blank CD-R; I presume you can't do this since your computer isn't working. Or, in the UK, you can buy Ubuntu 6.10 on CD for less than £5 including delivery. The brilliant thing about the CD is that you can pop it in your drive and it will boot a fully working live version of Ubuntu, therefore allowing you to test out the applications and see if you like it without making any system changes. There's an icon on the desktop called Install which guides you easily through the quick installation process.