• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.
  • Welcome to Free PC Help, a free PC Help forum to get help with your computer problems.

Free PC Help is a community that offers free computer help and support for all users, all ages, worldwide.

In order to start asking questions or contribute on someone else's post you will first need to register. Don't worry - it's quick and easy and once you have registered you will have instant access to the entire forum.

If you do decide to join the forums you will not have the option to send Private Messages [ PMs ] or add a Signature until you have made 5 posts or more. This is an attempt to try to stop Spammers using the PM system or adding links to their Signature.

PC setup password does'nt work

caseyfather

FPCH New Member
After recently putting some spyware on my pc- (AVG free edition) I restarted my pc, on startup it asked me for a password which I never put on, when I click ok it says it is loading my settings, brings up my screensaver then says saving my settings and then logs off back to the password screen. I have tried using administrator and no password and it says cannot log on because of an account restriction. I have tried starting it in safe mode and last known working config and neither works. Microsoft techincal support say i have to take it in to a shop at a cost of £100+ to copy my harddrive and reinstall.

Is there any other way to get it working, I cant do a re-install as a) I dont have the disk it was pre installed and is now past warranty and b)I have lots of photos and files I cannot lose.

I presume this is related to the avg install as never had this problem before.

I am running windows xp home if that helps

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Seth

FPCH Long Term Member
Operating System
Windows Vista - Home Premium
Welcome to FPH.

You should be able to clear that up by running System Restore. I understand your computer won't fully boot in Safe Mode, but it may get to a command prompt using Safe Mode With A Command Prompt. If so, you can run System Restore from there.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/304449

caseyfather

FPCH New Member
When I try to start in safe mode the password box still comes albeit larger than before and the administrator profile will not log in at all, because of an apparent account restriction

Microsoft say it sounds like my profiles have been corrupted and that it will not allow me to log in without a re-install.

Also if I could get to the stage of doing a system recovery would it wipe my data, there are pics of my kids that I cannot lose.

Seth

FPCH Long Term Member
Operating System
Windows Vista - Home Premium
You only have three options at this point:

1) A repair install of XP (which may or not repair the corruption)

2) Installing the drive on another computer, backing up your personal information, and clean install XP.

Some computers won't require an XP cd to do the above. Can you please post the make and model number of the computer so I can determine that?