• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.
  • Welcome to Free PC Help, a free PC Help forum to get help with your computer problems.

Free PC Help is a community that offers free computer help and support for all users, all ages, worldwide.

In order to start asking questions or contribute on someone else's post you will first need to register. Don't worry - it's quick and easy and once you have registered you will have instant access to the entire forum.

If you do decide to join the forums you will not have the option to send Private Messages [ PMs ] or add a Signature until you have made 5 posts or more. This is an attempt to try to stop Spammers using the PM system or adding links to their Signature.

Pc Upgrade Problems Gaming Pc

crz15

FPCH Member
Hi all i have just upgraded my system and its performance has decreased any one got any ideas ive been through all the normal error checking routes with no success and im starting to get peed of after spending so much for no gain

OLD SYSTEM

CPU Pentium 4 2.8 ghz HT 800 mhz bus
MAIN BOARD Msi neo platnimum deluxe socket 478
RAM 2 GB DDR Samsung pc3200 1gb x 2
GFX Nvidia 7600 gts 250 mb
HARD DRIVE 500 GB 2 X 250 samsung spinpoint 8 mb cache SATA 2
O/S Windows vista ultimate 32 bit
OPTICAL LG DVD-RW 16X

NEW SYSTEM

CPU Intel core 2 quad E6600 4 X 2.4 ghz 1066 mhz bus
MAIN BOARD Gigabyte P35-DS3
RAM 1 GB PNY pc6400 800 mhz bus dual channel ddr2
GFX Ati Radeon Sapphire HD 3850 pci-E 250 mb
HARD DRIVE 500 GB 2 X 250 samsung spinpoint 8 mb cache SATA 2
O/S Windows vista ultimate 64 bit
OPTICAL LG DVD-RW 16X

W

Wolfeymole

Hi crz

Welcome to Free PC Help

Can I ask why you have halved your memory on the new system?

You also may want to consider having a look at this with regard to Vista 64 bit.

crz15

FPCH Member
I have just built the system and at the time i purchased the parts i could only get my hands on 1 gb ram at pc6400 (due to over spending on the CPU)

my plan was to buy another 1 gb of the same spec ram or saving up and getting a 4gb or 8gb at 1066 mhz later on

will check out the link and thanks for the reply, chris

crz15

FPCH Member
Checked out the link,

BUGGER i only spent the extra cash on vista 64 beacuse i thought that by up-grading to a 64 bit processor that i would be gaining more performance from the OS as it is designed for 64 bit CPU`s

well microsoft caught me this time with its painting a perfect picture but next time i will do my research

AdvancedSetup

FPCH Long Term Member
Well the reason to run 64Bit it to gain the advantage of addressing almost unlimited amounts of PHYSICAL memory. Windows XP 32Bit can only address (understand) 4GB of RAM memory.

Applications like AutoCAD, Maya, Exchange Server, SQL Server, and similar applications can take full advantage of multiple processors and 64Bit with access to large amounts of RAM (many systems can hold 32GB of RAM but without a 64Bit OS it is of no value)

In general the average home user would have a trade off of compatibility issues that they may need to overcome with 64Bit, which may not offset the minimal gains from a 64Bit OS.
Though if all of your hardware runs on 64Bit and your applications all run then there are still some gains to using 64Bit.

You may find some of these links helpful if you're running Vista 64Bit

64bit - x64 Home Page

Catalogue of 64-bit Software

Microsoft Site - Windows 64-bit: Frequently Asked Questions