• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.
  • Welcome to Free PC Help, a free PC Help forum to get help with your computer problems.

Free PC Help is a community that offers free computer help and support for all users, all ages, worldwide.

In order to start asking questions or contribute on someone else's post you will first need to register. Don't worry - it's quick and easy and once you have registered you will have instant access to the entire forum.

If you do decide to join the forums you will not have the option to send Private Messages [ PMs ] or add a Signature until you have made 5 posts or more. This is an attempt to try to stop Spammers using the PM system or adding links to their Signature.

PC won't boot from hard-drives.

SGorilla

FPCH Member
When I boot up my PC the BIOS is really slow, and won't boot to any hard drives I try, I haven't changed any of the boot options or partitioned anything or In fact done anything at all.
I'm currently on an Ubuntu Live-CD and can access the Hard-drives from here, there doesn't see to be anything wrong. I think it may be something to do with the hard-drive or BIOS but I'm not sure.
Please help, I want Vista back! :(

W

Wolfeymole

Hello Gorilla

Welcome to Free PC Help

Have you actually tried to install the Ubuntu disk or are you just running it off the cd?
If off the disk just remove it and all should boot normally.
It sounds to me like your 1st boot option in the bios is set to boot from cdrom.
Go into the bios by pressing Del or F2 on boot up and change the boot order to the hard drive first.

Seth

FPCH Long Term Member
Operating System
Windows Vista - Home Premium
Hi Gorilla.

If Wolfey's suggestion doesn't pan out, then restore the bios defaults, save the changes and see if it makes any difference.

Does the hard drive show up in the bios?

If all that doesn't work, then chances are that the bios is hanging due to a problematic device. Disconnect needless devices and peripherals (including the hard drive) from the motherboard, and see how post (bios) goes. If it's good, put the devices in one at a time to find the culprit.

SGorilla

FPCH Member
Thanks for replying.
I've tried to install Windows XP on another hard drive but in the middle of the install you have to restart to continue, I think here it has to boot off the hard drive, and it failed.

The CD is the 3rd boot option, my first being the hard-drive with Vista on it, it attempts to boot on these before the CD, I have checked inside the case and nothing seems to be wrong with it.

EDIT: Saw Seth's post, will try Restoring the BIOS.

Seth

FPCH Long Term Member
Operating System
Windows Vista - Home Premium
Well, you can't test a device by just looking at :)

So are you saying that you have a post problem, or an installation problem?

SGorilla

FPCH Member
The PC was fine, wasn't trying to install any OS's or anything, was as usual until this happened. Just going to do your suggestions.

EDIT: Tried restoring the BIOS to "Fail Safe Defaults" but it didn't help.

AdvancedSetup

FPCH Long Term Member
Just guessing here... but I'm wondering if you damaged the MBR (boot section of the hard drive)

If you have the original Vista CD then place that in the CD and boot from it and see if you can get into a repair console and run one of the repair tools like FIXBOOT

SGorilla

FPCH Member
AdvancedSetup said:
Just guessing here... but I'm wondering if you damaged the MBR (boot section of the hard drive)

If you have the original Vista CD then place that in the CD and boot from it and see if you can get into a repair console and run one of the repair tools like FIXBOOT
Good Idea, I'll try that.

SGorilla

FPCH Member
Ok, this is rather strange, but I did the Vista Bootrec /fixboot and /fixmbr, restarted, put the ubuntu CD in in-case it didn't work, and it didn't and booted into the Ubuntu live CD boot options, I decided to try another option on the bottem, "Boot from local hard drive" which I had tryed before and hadn't worked, but this time it did. Hope it always works.

Thanks for your help!

AdvancedSetup

FPCH Long Term Member
So what operating system loaded and is running? Ubuntu, Vista, or XP ?

If you place the Live Ubuntu CD in and booted from Hard drive and Vista did boot and work properly then there is still a boot loader issue that needs to be repaired.

Your system should boot and run properly without a CD in the drive.