• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.
  • Welcome to Free PC Help, a free PC Help forum to get help with your computer problems.

Free PC Help is a community that offers free computer help and support for all users, all ages, worldwide.

In order to start asking questions or contribute on someone else's post you will first need to register. Don't worry - it's quick and easy and once you have registered you will have instant access to the entire forum.

If you do decide to join the forums you will not have the option to send Private Messages [ PMs ] or add a Signature until you have made 5 posts or more. This is an attempt to try to stop Spammers using the PM system or adding links to their Signature.

PC wont start and has random clicking noise

splonks

FPCH New Member
Hi Guys

Hoping someone may be able to offer some advice.

My PC can up with the blue memory screen dump so i reset my PC. Now when it begins to load, it checks the memory and hard drive and then sends me into a dos screen saying there is a hardware problem and gives me the option to select "profile 1". Only trouble is that by then my keyboard doesnt work then and i cant select it. During this boot up, there is a random clicking noise occasionally chipping in.

I have tried booting into safe mode but it wont allow me to do this and takes me to the hardware problem screen.

I have looked into the clicking noise and most websites point towards a faulty hard drive. I have swapped the HD with a brand new one and this clicking noise still remains.

Im kind of stuck with what it can be as i havent added any hardware recently and this error seems to have came out of no where. Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks

londonles

FPCH Member
PC Experience
Very Experienced
Operating System
Windows Vista - Home Premium
Hello

I would have gone for a faulty hard drive as first guess. However as you have replaced this already i would now be looking to source the clicking noise, ruling out the obviuous such as a stuck key, it will become a process of elimination.

Start the pc and listen carefully to where you beleive the sound is coming from. My second guess would be the PSU if this is the case then a new one needs fitting before it blows and takes tha mainboard out.

Also if you can post back the error code from the blue screen and state your os and pc model

Les

splonks

FPCH New Member
Thanks for your reply

I listened in but couldnt exactly pin point where the noise was coming from. I did however disconnect my hard drive completely aswell as my CD rom and the noise was still there.

Unfortunatley i cant give the details of the blue screen as it doesnt go into it now because i cant get into XP. It was the memory dump screen that originally caused the problems.

I dont know if this makes any difference but i have noticed people ask if there were any beeps during start up and mine does go through the series of beeps it usuallly takes.

My PC is running Windows XP Professional, with 512 ram and 1.3ghz amd athlon

londonles

FPCH Member
PC Experience
Very Experienced
Operating System
Windows Vista - Home Premium
Hi

you say it goes through a series of beeps it should only give one beep to indicate a sucessful post test any other bleeps indicate a problem, please post back the bleeps you hear in the order they happen (eg short long long long ) they will be either short bleeps or long bleeps

Also do ou know which bios manufacturer is installed Phoenix or American Megatrends etc