• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.
  • Welcome to Free PC Help, a free PC Help forum to get help with your computer problems.

Free PC Help is a community that offers free computer help and support for all users, all ages, worldwide.

In order to start asking questions or contribute on someone else's post you will first need to register. Don't worry - it's quick and easy and once you have registered you will have instant access to the entire forum.

If you do decide to join the forums you will not have the option to send Private Messages [ PMs ] or add a Signature until you have made 5 posts or more. This is an attempt to try to stop Spammers using the PM system or adding links to their Signature.

Pixelkitten-Post recreated

RandyL

Administrator
PC Experience
Very Experienced
Pixelkitten said:
This day I bought some DDR1 memory for my computer. it is a windows 2000 sp4 with a AMD athlon xp CPU and a MSI TK2 combo motherboard. I removed the power supply to be able to install it. I vacuum cleaned it a bit to get away some dust and then installed the memory. I have experienced cooling problems before and my father wanted to see which way the fans spinned. cautious as i am i had removed the power cable, but plugged it in again to get the power online. when i pressed the I/O button the computer powered up as it usually did and then completely fainted. i tried moving the memory to another bus but the same thing happened again. I then removed the memory to see if it was the memorys fault or if i had damaged something with the vacuum cleaner. everything worked just as it should. The memory stick is a samsung 512mb DDR 400mhz pc3200. i now have only 256mb SDRAM and would like to boost the prestanda a bit. what have i done wrong?
please help me, i apologise for any bad spelling.

RandyL

Administrator
PC Experience
Very Experienced
Wolfeymole said:
Hello Pixel Kitten Welcome to Free PC Help

Ok first you should not have put a hoover anywhere near the pc as the static build up can kill a motherboard.
Secondly you have bought the wrong memory as that board will not support pc3200.

This is what the board can support and I suggest buying that.
http://www.ciao.co.uk/MSI_KT2_Combo__5410787#productdetail

That is if your board has not already died.

RandyL

Administrator
PC Experience
Very Experienced
Pixelkitten said:
board is alive and well, i am using it right now. many thanks for the specifications of my motherboard, i do not believe i would have found those on my own. many thanks!

Seth

FPCH Long Term Member
Operating System
Windows Vista - Home Premium
Wolfeymole said:
Ok first you should not have put a hoover anywhere near the pc as the static build up can kill a motherboard.
I've heard that many times, but I've been doing it for years without any problem. The key is to just use it on the cpu heatsink and not on the motherboard.

danzil

FPCH Member
PC Experience
Operating System
there are special made usb hoovers for this so static cant be that bad from these things.
i also have used a hoover many times in a pc and have not received any issues or had any issues come back from customers...
i prefer a can of compressed air and a soft clean paint brush though....but sometime man you need a hoover.some of the pc's i have seen i would need an industrial hoover.
regards
danil
pz just my opinion

W

Wolfeymole

Seth said:
Wolfeymole said:
I've heard that many times, but I've been doing it for years without any problem. The key is to just use it on the cpu heatsink and not on the motherboard.
I could have sworn I just said that.

Seth

FPCH Long Term Member
Operating System
Windows Vista - Home Premium
Wolfeymole said:
Seth said:
Wolfeymole said:
I could have sworn I just said that.
Huh? Didn't you say the opposite? Or am I confused by the transition from the 6th dimension to the 3rd?

Danzil,

...and sometimes, the clog is so bad that YOU HAVE to remove the fan to properly clean the heatsink.

W

Wolfeymole

I think you must have contacted the emissaries from the Senile Dimentia when you traversed Seth.

I said; "the static build up can kill a motherboard."

You said; "The key is to just use it on the cpu heatsink and not on the motherboard.

Are these two statements one and the same or not?