• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.
  • Welcome to Free PC Help, a free PC Help forum to get help with your computer problems.

Free PC Help is a community that offers free computer help and support for all users, all ages, worldwide.

In order to start asking questions or contribute on someone else's post you will first need to register. Don't worry - it's quick and easy and once you have registered you will have instant access to the entire forum.

If you do decide to join the forums you will not have the option to send Private Messages [ PMs ] or add a Signature until you have made 5 posts or more. This is an attempt to try to stop Spammers using the PM system or adding links to their Signature.

• Due to the complexity and risks involved our formally trained malware staff will be the only ones allowed to help with malware removal advice. Thank you.

Please HELP! Choose a program to open the file you want

PCStupid

FPCH New Member
PC Experience
PC Illiterate
Operating System
Windows Vista - Home Basic
I am self taught when it comes to my PC. :cool: I am more or less computer illiterate and have really had no issues up until recently.:p I am a gamer and at one point or another I must have downloaded an infected game.:mad: I have installed new anti-virus software and removed the problem, however, this has created a whole new set of issues.:( I'm having a hell of a time figuring out. :confused:

Anytime I try to open something, be it a downloaded game, Google Chrome or Firefox, I am asked to Choose a program to open the file you want.:smash: Most of the time i have no clue what program to use. :drama: I miss the good ole days when my computer used to do this for me.:couch2:

I would really appreciate any assistance you can offer me to fix this. I haven't been able to open several files, and i'm getting totally frusterated!:sad: I can't even download from a disk anymore without being asked what program to use. :confused:

PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE HELP ME! :eek:

Starbuck

Admin & Security Team
PC Experience
Very Experienced
Hi there and welcome Free PC Help

I've moved your thread here as this is the correct place to get the help you need.

Ok, let's see what we can do about this.

Step 1
Please download exeHelper to your desktop.
If your AV program throws up a warning about the program, ignore the warning. Some AV's flag this program because of how it works... that's all.
  • Double-click on exeHelper.com to run the fix.
  • A black window should pop up, press any key to close once the fix is completed.
  • Post the contents of exehelperlog.txt ( Will be created in the directory where you ran exeHelper.com and should open at the end of the scan)
Note : If the window shows a message that says "Error deleting file", please re-run the program before posting a log - and post the two logs together ( they will both be in the one file ).

Step 2
  • Download OTL to your desktop.
    right click on the link and select 'Save Link/Target As'.

if you have problems, try this download link:
    OTL
  • Double click on the icon to run it. Make sure all other windows are closed and to let it run uninterrupted.
  • When the window appears, underneath Output at the top change it to Minimal Output.
  • Check the boxes beside LOP Check and Purity Check

• Now copy the lines in bold below.

netsvcs
    msconfig
    %SYSTEMDRIVE%*.exe
    /md5start
    eventlog.dll
    scecli.dll
    netlogon.dll
    cngaudit.dll
    sceclt.dll
    ntelogon.dll
    logevent.dll
    iaStor.sys
    nvstor.sys
    atapi.sys
    IdeChnDr.sys
    viasraid.sys
    AGP440.sys
    vaxscsi.sys
    nvatabus.sys
    viamraid.sys
    nvata.sys
    nvgts.sys
    iastorv.sys
    ViPrt.sys
    eNetHook.dll
    ahcix86.sys
    KR10N.sys
    nvstor32.sys
    ahcix86s.sys
    nvrd32.sys
    symmpi.sys
    adp3132.sys
    /md5stop
    %systemroot%*. /mp /s
    %systemroot%system32*.dll /lockedfiles
    %systemroot%Tasks*.job /lockedfiles
    %systemroot%system32drivers*.sys /lockedfiles
    CREATERESTOREPOINT

• right click in the Custom Scans/Fixes window (under the blue bar) and choose Paste.

• Click the Run Scan button.

• Do not change any settings unless otherwise told to do so. The scan wont take long.
  • When the scan completes, it will open two notepad windows. OTL.Txt and Extras.Txt. These are saved in the same location as OTL.
  • Please copy (Edit->Select All, Edit->Copy) the contents of these files, one at a time, and post them with your next reply.

In your next reply, please submit:
exehelperlog.txt
and both reports from OTL.

If the reports are too big to post here, add then as attachments.

Thanks.