• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.
  • Welcome to Free PC Help, a free PC Help forum to get help with your computer problems.

Free PC Help is a community that offers free computer help and support for all users, all ages, worldwide.

In order to start asking questions or contribute on someone else's post you will first need to register. Don't worry - it's quick and easy and once you have registered you will have instant access to the entire forum.

If you do decide to join the forums you will not have the option to send Private Messages [ PMs ] or add a Signature until you have made 5 posts or more. This is an attempt to try to stop Spammers using the PM system or adding links to their Signature.

please help me

Chilli04

FPCH New Member
hi,
i have a problem with my computer. i have microsoft xp home edition. and i am trying to scan my computer with McAfee software(i bought it) but everytime i try to scan - computer shuts down. i was using McAfee everytime and that never happen before. Also I tried with other software but it was the same. don't know what to do. what's wrong with my computer?

please help me!!!

RandyL

Administrator
PC Experience
Very Experienced
Hi Chilli04:
It might be trojans. Some of them will disable onboard scanners. You could try an on-line virus scan like Housecall. It's free.
http://housecall.trendmicro.com/

I've had a couple computers that would shut down and used Housecall to fix them. Worth a try.

RandyL

danzil

FPCH Member
PC Experience
Operating System
absolutly correct randy...
alternativly tsp f8 at 1st power on...boot into safe mode with networking then do the scan..
or boot to safe mode hten do the mcafee scan...
try checking msconfig
start>run type in msconfig
paste what is in there..
may be an idea to download hijack this ,,google for it....paste the log in the forum..
regards
danzil

RandyL

Administrator
PC Experience
Very Experienced
Oops! I forgot the basic scan from safe mode. Up too late and too much beer. And of course msconfig is always worth a look. Good thing danzil caught this thread.

On Windows 98/ME I used dos scans in the past. Sometimes from UBCD. I don't know if UBCD has any scanners for ntsf, XP but I doubt it. It wouldn't make sense.

danzil do you want Chilli04 to paste the hijack this log in this forum or the hijack this forum?

Good to see you back from your honeymoon danzil;
RandyL